Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP Home is VERY slow  (Read 3652 times)

njmvimnom

Topic Starter

Rookie

XP Home is VERY slow
    « on: March 21, 2008, 09:40:15 AM »
    My XP home works very slow since a week back. I changed my internet provider to the Swedish comhem.se one week ago a with a 8mbit/s account broadband.
    Since then my internet connection takes about 3-4 minutes to load and the same goes for Outlook Express.
    My "personal settings" at the start of my computer take about the same time to load.
    The computer works with a VERY HIGH rattling sound when loading something up.
    Almost every click on a link takes about 3-4 minutes to load. Several warning boxes about "safe pages" and sites are shown without any danger at all at hand.
    The "printing order" to my HP Laser Jet1018 takes at least 3-4 minutes to execute.

There are many other mysterious things happening to my computer and I don't know what to do.
    My computer is a HP Pavilion T 270 about 4 years old and I'm using about 15 % of the hard disk.
    I've succeeded to mend Outlook Express where all account passwords disappeared and no links at all worked in Explorer.
    I have done the following trying to repair but..........

1) Defragmenting
    2) Registry clean up
    3) Start -  run - msconfig
    4) Windows automatic update

I've been advised to do a total SYSTEM RECOVERY with a CD I've got when buying the computer but I'm afraid ALL MY WORK will disappear if doing so or am I wrong?
    If this should turn out to be the only way to go then I have to save everything on CD:s  or.....?
    YOU ARE MY LAST HOPE!!! PLEASE.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: XP Home is VERY slow
    « Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 10:27:49 AM »
    What, exactly, was involved in making the change to comhem.se one?  Did you install software you got from them?  Have installed or uninstalled any other software since the change in ISP?  Have you made any hardware changes to your computer in this same time frame?

What firewall do you use?  Do you have an anti-virus program monitoring your system?  Do you use any spyware removal tools?  You may have a serious malware problem. 

Have you cleared browser cache recently?  Do you use any file cleanup tools such as CCleaner?  How often do you defragment your hard drive?

... then I have to save everything on CD:s  or.....?
    Well, how important is your data to you?  If you don't want to risk losing it, better back it up to an external media.

njmvimnom

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 12:54:04 PM »
      Hey Soybean, I'll try to answer your questions:
      1) My landlord provided all his tenants with comhem.se as standard in his apartment houses.
      2) I've done one istallment of Comhem's security package
      3) No hard ware changes
      4) I'm using Windows own firewall
      5) My ant-virus program is Windows own
      6)  Just read this: a) Free Internet Window washer  b) Free registry Cleaner,   c) Registry helper,   d) Windows Install Clean Up     e) Pareto Logic's Regcure,   f) Windows Defender,     g) Windows Update    and finally Microsoft's Update

7 I have to admit that I don't know what "browser cache" is. Some kind of memory? Where do I find it?
      8) I'm defragmenting once or twice a year

AS FAR AS I UNDERSTAND I SHOULD REMOVE MANY OF THESE SECURITY PROGRAMS AND LEAVE MICROSOFT'S OWN PROGRAMS OR......?
      However I'll await your answer before doing anything.
      Please, advice me

Regards
      njmvimnom

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 01:21:31 PM »
      6)  Just read this: a) Free Internet Window washer  b) Free registry Cleaner,   c) Registry helper,   d) Windows Install Clean Up     e) Pareto Logic's Regcure,   f) Windows Defender,     g) Windows Update    and finally Microsoft's Update
      Is the list above the components of Comhem's security package?

2) I've done one istallment of Comhem's security package
      Again, what does that consist of?  I suspect that package is the culprit here.  Assuming it contains such tools as spam blocking, anti-virus, firewall, spyware protection/removal, etc., all that can be obtained from other programs, some of which you may already have installed.

4) I'm using Windows own firewall
      If Comhem's security package contains a firewall, you probably have two firewalls enabled.  That's not good.  Only run one.

5) My ant-virus program is Windows own
      Umm, Windows doesn't have it's own.  So, please clarify what you have.

7 I have to admit that I don't know what "browser cache" is. Some kind of memory? Where do I find it?
      Yup, it's a kind of memory.  If you're using Internet Explorer, go to Tools, Internet Options, and click the Delete button under Browsing history.  I suggest including Temporary Internet Files, Cookies, and History, for this troubleshooting exercise.

I'm defragmenting once or twice a year
      Although I doubt that may not be a significant factor in this situation, you should still defragment much more often.  The ideal frequency varies for each computer use, but I suggest you do it at least one time per month. The more often you do it, the less time it takes to defragment.

So, what should you do?  Here's my thoughts:

1.  Uninstall the Comhem's security package
      2.  Clear browser cache
      3.  Download CCleaner and run it's Windows scan and it's Registry scan.  Remove all the items it finds.  When running the Registry scan, backup the Registry when prompted.  Repeat the Registry scan, since it may find more items upon a repeat scan.
      4.  Answer my questions so we have more info to go on.  We need to know where you stand for firewall, anti-virus, and spyware protection, without having Comhem's security package installed.

For CCleaner, go to http://www.ccleaner.com/download , select Other builds, then select the Slim version.

njmvimnom

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 02:40:07 PM »
        Hey again Soybean, I'm very grateful for your interrest. To answer your questions:
        6) This list is NOT the content of Comhem's security package it's just separated programs downloaded by myself in my trials to repair my computer.

2) Comhem's Security Package's content is: Virus protection, Protection against illegal entrance and a firewall which stops viruses and trojans

4) You're right there are two firewalls - Comhem's and Windows

5) I suppose I meant the antvirus program in Windows defender or some other Window's program - I don't remember which one.

Finally. I'll do all what you've told me

Have a nice Easter
        njmvimnom

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 02:52:47 PM »
        Have a nice Easter
        You, too.   :)

Let us know how things go with the computer.

njmvimnom

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 09:10:14 AM »
          Hello again Soybean, I've removed all the "security programs" and that was what was needed. Everything is running smoothly.
          BUT I have no Virus protection so I will try to reinstall ONLY comhem's virus protection to see what that will do. If it doesn't work I'll remove it once again.
          I've downloaded your CCleaner and run it until there were nothing "criminal" left.
          Once again, thank you! :D

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 09:49:31 AM »
          Glad to hear your computer is running smoothly again. 

Regarding anti-virus protection, I suggest you skip the product from comhem and get AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition (version 7.5).  I and many other forum members are using it.

njmvimnom

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 08:07:58 AM »
             :)Thanks a lot, Soybean for all your help. Before I read your message I had downloaded Spyware Doctor, what do you think of that program?

soybean

Genius
            « Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 08:24:49 AM »
            I haven't used it but I believe it's a good program.  I just this:
            Spyware Doctor review.  I think you should give it a try.  But, you still need anti-virus protection, too.  Spyware Doctor protects against "spyware and adware parasites, trojans, keyloggers, backdoors, trackware and other dangerous, emerging threats", but is not an anti-virus program.