Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Screwed up Printer  (Read 2619 times)

macdad-

Topic Starter

Expert

Screwed up Printer
    « on: March 21, 2008, 07:22:15 AM »
    hey
    i have been using my grandmother's computer and i have been trying to print stuff off. i installed the printer to my grandmother's computer and i worked for a year but now it wont print stuff off, i have checked the LPT cable and it is plug in to my grandmother's computer and is pluged into the printer, i have checked the pwr cable on the prnter and it is pluged in the printer does have pwr and it can print off the built-in testpage but it seems there is a large black mark down the center of the paper when i print off the built-in test page. plz help

the printer's specs:
    HP Laserjet 5L
    it is a Laser Printer.
    If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

squall_01

Prodigy

Re: Screwed up Printer
      « Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 03:58:18 PM »
      Sounds like maybe it can't find the driver anymore.  Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling the print driver?
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

macdad-

Topic Starter

Expert

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 04:18:06 PM »
        as a matter of fact my grandmother had here computer's HD formated completly and then re-installed Win 2000, but thats not my big worry.
        my big worry is that when i printed off the built-in test page(the printer has a test page preprogramed into it) there was a large black mark in the middle which almost looked like the printer wuz buring the paper, could it be that the toner is low or what?

macdad-

Topic Starter

Expert

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 04:24:46 PM »
          ok i re-installed the drivers and it still wont print things off. but can u explain to me about the black mark

my big worry is that when i printed off the built-in test page(the printer has a test page preprogramed into it) there was a large black mark in the middle which almost looked like the printer wuz buring the paper, could it be that the toner is low or what?

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 04:25:37 PM »
            Sounds like maybe a bad cartiage, its not the printer its self.  Try putting in a new one.  
            Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

macdad-

Topic Starter

Expert

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 04:27:27 PM »
              ok. that explains the black mark, i get a new cartrige. but it still wont print things off and i re-installed the driver, as well as getting a new driver for the printer off of HP's website.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 04:47:54 PM »
                Is it a usb or parallel connector printer?

macdad-

Topic Starter

Expert

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 04:52:32 PM »
                  parrell

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 04:54:19 PM »
                    Remove the cable from the back of the pc and check for any bent pins.  Also, try another cable if you have one.

macdad-

Topic Starter

Expert

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 05:50:39 PM »
                      no there arent any bent pins but i saw the prices on the cartriges and i'd rather buy a new color printer than spend more money on a toner cartrige but thank you for your help, squall.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 06:30:11 PM »
                        Yes this is true.  Thats why many people do it, but if your able to fix it, there wont be any need to spend any money.  Your welcome. 

KennyJ

Starter

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 08:56:57 PM »
                          If the printer is more than 1 year old.
                          Don't even consider buying a new ink cartridge.
                          You can get a new Hp or whatever (including ink) that prints great right from the start for $39 or less.  And after that, don't pay twice the money for original equipment ink cartridges.  There are many good knock off inks for half the price.
                          If it's using a parallel cable then it's many years old. Too old even for your grandmother.  All newer printers can use a USB cable ( that comes with printer).
                          Printers: some good - some bad, but nowdays, so sad, they are throw away when they give trouble.

Dias de verano

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 02:20:24 AM »
                          I agree with KennyJ. it can be cheaper to junk a printer when the ink runs out, if it all runs out at the same time or nearly so. Although beware, many new printers come with "starter" cartridges which have less ink than regular ones. 

Also I do believe that you aren't helping to save the planet if you just wantonly throw electronic junk away.

I bought a Canon iP4200 about 2 years ago for 60 UK pounds. The official Canon price for all 5 cartridges is around 50 UK pounds. The cartridges have a chip that means the printer will in theory not accept 3rd party carts or home refilled ones. Luckily here in Britain there are shops that can refill the cartridges and reset the chips so the printer doesn't know any different.

I like the look of Kodak printers, which cost a bit more, but the ink is cheaper.

macdad-

Topic Starter

Expert

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 07:53:12 AM »
                            well to tell you the truth the printer was made in 1995. so the circuits and stuff in the printer are probably dead.