Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DMI Pool Data Error  (Read 2437 times)

melissalynne7

Topic Starter

Rookie

DMI Pool Data Error
    « on: March 21, 2008, 11:23:25 PM »
    My computer has 2 hard drives a 60GB (master) and a 160 (slave).  We needed more space so we purchased a new HD that is 320GB.  I tried to make the old 160 the master and install the new 320 as slave.  Once I try to install XP Pro I get the message Verifying DMI Pool Data and it just hangs there.  The hard drive was previously working before trying to install the operating system.  Could there be some issue with the BIOS?  Any ideas are appreciated.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: DMI Pool Data Error
    « Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 11:56:30 PM »
    I would work with only 1 drive at a time...cable the 160 as master and disconnect the other 2 drives.
    Re-boot with the XP CD in...
    Re-install XP then all the drivers for the machine including the MBoard drivers.
    Once everything is up and running power down, unplug the machine and reconnect the  320 as slave and re-boot.
    It may need to be formatted before Windows can use it if it's brand new...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Dias de verano

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 02:10:56 AM »
    This is a pretty good guide to all the issues...

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000474.htm

Hopefully you are using an 80 wire IDE cable, in which case...

Did you actually

jumper the old 160GB slave as master
    connect it to the end connector on the ribbon cable

jumper the new 320 as master
    connect it to the middle connector?

Is the ribbon cable the right way around? (blue connector plugged into motherboard

Personally I would make the 320GB drive the master and put the OS on it and use the old 120 GB as a data store/backup drive, because the newer drive is likely to have better performance and has less hours running time under its belt so hopefully would have longer to go before it fails. In fact that is exactly what I did about 2 months ago.

melissalynne7

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 11:11:49 AM »
      As suggested I have only the 320 drive hooked up.  The hard drive came with a bootable CDROM.  So I booted from cd and it looked like it was working and a screen to run the Data Lifeguard Tools came up and then said that it couldn't run because the BIOS was off???  I have no idea what is going on. 
      Do I need to install this Data Lifeguard?  And how is my BIOS turned off?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 11:45:36 AM »
      The Data Lifeguard Tools are used to prepare a drive for use ...
      Is this a SATA drive ? ?

If not here is how it should be connected:

II================================II==========II

MBoard                                                   Slave            Master.

It needs to be at the end of the cable....then check to see if it's jumpered properly as in the image below...all drives are different so follow the diagram on the drive to be sure

" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "