Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2nd HDD DMA not recognized  (Read 3685 times)

mmramrod

2nd HDD DMA not recognized
« on: January 25, 2005, 02:02:52 PM »
I have added a 2nd HDD (Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 - 80GB)to a Dell 4550 2.53Ghz to use for video editing.  I have put it in the slave position with my original C: drive as master.  Dell recommended leave the settings as cable select so I did.  The new HDD remains in PIO mode and will not switch to DMA.  Because of this when I transfer video I drop every other frame.  The new HDD is UDMA-66 compatible.

Motherboard driver?  Switch to Master/Slave cofiguration?

Help please

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: 2nd HDD DMA not recognized
    « Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 02:24:16 PM »
     mmramrod.....So what configuration are you trying?
    Both as cable select or ...........C as the master and D ( the new one ) as slave . Did you format the new one ?

let us know

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

mmramrod

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 02:36:55 PM »
    Wow. Quick.  Thanks

I have both set to cable select with the old drive (C) at the end of the cable (master) and the new D: drive in the middle (slave) position.

The D is formatted and seems to work fine with everything except transferring video.

I am somewhat computer illiterate so please bear with me

mmramrod

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 07:22:19 AM »
    A quick update....  I set the jumpers on the new drive as slave and the old drive as master (not cable select) and it still did not work.

Then I took the cable from my CD/DVD drive and put each hard drive on it's own channel as masters (no CD/DVD at all)  Both HDDS worked perfectly (both showed up as UDMA in device manager).

So my problem happens when I have both HDD's on the same cable.  This must be common problem?!?!

Thanks everyone for the help.

mmramrod

mmramrod

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 07:24:20 AM »
    I still need my CD/DVD drive back.

Anyone????

It's driving me nuts

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 10:44:46 AM »
    Cable select only works with 80-conductor cable w/ 40-pin connector.  If only one device on any cable, sometimes cable select will work.  If 2 devices, use 40-conductor with master/slave and 80-conductor with cable select.  40-conductor cable only supports up to UDMA Mode 2 (UDMA-33).  80-conductor cable defaults to UDMA-33 if motherboard interface is only UDMA-33.

2 hard drives on one 80-conductor cable works just fine with cable select.

Use the cable that came with your new drive.  It's probably 80-conductor.

Read this:  http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html

mmramrod

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 01:00:55 PM »
    Thanks.  I'll try that

I believe I have 80 conductor cable now because it has the color codes and my computer manual (DELL) recomends using cable select.

We'll see