Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Home and Office Internet Connection  (Read 2774 times)

burton

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Home and Office Internet Connection
    « on: March 14, 2008, 11:05:56 AM »
    I have two internet connections for my laptop, one in the office and one at home. In the office I use a Wlan connection (Intel Pro Wireless) and at home a WAN miniport (PPPoE).

Both connections work, but the annoying thing is that in Outlook Express I always have to switch the POP3 server (incoming mail) to 127.0.0.1, otherwise I cant receive mail.

Is there an option for the computer to detect upon logon which internet connection I am using? Or another automated way for the laptop to recognize if it is a wireless or cable connection?

burton

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      Re: Home and Office Internet Connection
      « Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 08:17:58 AM »
      is noone able to reply...  :o ???

Deerpark

Egghead
        « Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 11:33:46 AM »
        I don't believe it is possible to configure OE based on where you're at.
        What I don't understand though is why you're pointing the incoming mail server at 127.0.0.1. That is the loopback address. Basically you're telling OE that the email server is on the computer itself instead of on an external server.
        Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
        Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

burton

Topic Starter

Beginner
        • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
          « Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 11:51:04 AM »
          The computer automatically configures it to 127.0.0.1 - probably upon connection to the WLAN in the office. That is a nuisance, as at home this needs changing. There is no mail server/web mail server to connect to at all, all is done locally through the internet.

Maybe the only solution is to do a manual switch of email accounts, i.e. leave the work email account and make another identical one for the home cable conifguration  ???

Any other solutions?
          « Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 01:53:40 PM by burton »