Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Opening Ports, Help!  (Read 5466 times)

fullbug

Topic Starter

Apprentice
    Opening Ports, Help!
    « on: March 22, 2008, 04:24:57 PM »
    I hope someone can help me out here, I cant seem to find help anywhere, not even from my ISP....

I'm on a Windows XP home, using a Seimens SpeedStream 6520, as far as anti-virus stuff I use Online Armor for a firewall, Spyware Terminator, AntiVir, Spybot, the usual....

I am trying to use websites like The Traders' Den, Jam To This, and Dimeadozen, downloading shows isnt a problem, but trying to seed is, because I cant seem to open the needed ports...
    I have followed this guide to a 'T' from the port forwarding site, including getting a static IP, site seen here....
    http://www.portforward.com/english/r...BitTornado.htm

The Bell Canada version is slightly different, but not much, the important stuff is the same....
    When doing all the steps I was on the phone with Bell as well (my ISP provider) and at the end I get the following error seen below.....

I set the protocall to TCB just like the page says, the one ISP I spoke to with half a brain couldnt figure out why it doesnt work as well....
    I have tried this with my firewall off too....And completly uninstalled it to be sure....

No matter what I do I get the error message, my ISP wont help because they are not trained to deal with Ports, and refuse to help....

I also tried using this guide for the Windows XP firewall, did what it said and it hasnt helped....
    http://www.portforward.com/help/pers...owssp2port.htm

Any suggestions? I have been trying to figure out this port thing for a day and a half and Im ready to snap, lol....

[recovering space - attachment deleted by admin]

Deerpark

Egghead
      Re: Opening Ports, Help!
      « Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 06:29:49 AM »
      So basically what you're saying is that you get the above error message after you've filled in the info like shown in the image called "window 2"?
      If that is the case it sounds like a bug in the SpeedStream's firmware.
      Have you asked Bell whether a firmware update for the SpeedStream is available?
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

fullbug

Topic Starter

Apprentice
        « Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 07:35:04 AM »
        So basically what you're saying is that you get the above error message after you've filled in the info like shown in the image called "window 2"?
        If that is the case it sounds like a bug in the SpeedStream's firmware.
        Have you asked Bell whether a firmware update for the SpeedStream is available?
        Yes, that right, I follow the steps exactly so I dont understand the error...
        Not sure what firmware is, but I can look into the update question....

Deerpark

Egghead
          « Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 07:38:17 AM »
          Firmware is basically the software that makes the modem work.
          It is for the modem what Windows is for your computer.

fullbug

Topic Starter

Apprentice
            « Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 09:01:11 AM »
            There is no firmware update for the speedstream....
            I wish I could find some software that would let me adjust my port settings, I cant believe allowing a port to be used can be so much trouble....

Deerpark

Egghead
              « Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 09:06:13 AM »
              As long as the modem throws you an error when creating the forward no amount of software or tweaking will get the port open.
              The forward needs to be done on the modem using the config supplied by the firmware.

As far as I can see you're not doing anything wrong but just to be certain, what exactly do you do after you get to what is shown in "windows 2"?

fullbug

Topic Starter

Apprentice
                « Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 10:20:49 AM »
                As far as I can see you're not doing anything wrong but just to be certain, what exactly do you do after you get to what is shown in "windows 2"?
                Below the box is an 'apply' button, I just click that and then the error page come up....
                As you can see below I have tried different ways of configuring this, the results always the same....

[recovering space - attachment deleted by admin]

Deerpark

Egghead
                  « Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 10:26:26 AM »
                  Have you created all the entries in shown in the image?
                  Do they appear to be saved even though you get an error message? I.e. if you power cycle the modem (pull out the power cable and reinsert it) does it still keep the port forwards you create?

fullbug

Topic Starter

Apprentice
                    « Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 11:08:36 AM »
                    Have you created all the entries in shown in the image?
                    Yep....
                    Do they appear to be saved even though you get an error message? I.e. if you power cycle the modem (pull out the power cable and reinsert it) does it still keep the port forwards you create?
                    Well, when I log back into the site they are still there, I havent unplugged the modem as of yet, never thought of that, but I will a little later as my wife is on another computer using that modem....
                    Thanx for the help Deerpark..... 8)

fullbug

Topic Starter

Apprentice
                      « Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 12:07:39 PM »
                      Alright, I seem to have found a way around this problem, while browsing through torrent threads around the net I read that 'UTorrent' uses different ports, and that you dont have to release them, after getting rid of Bit Tornado and installing UTorrent I am now able to upload again without port problems....(Whew!)
                      Thanx for the help Deerpark.... :)

Deerpark

Egghead
                        « Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 12:09:14 PM »
                        Well you're welcome, but uTorrent requires forwarded ports just as much as any other p2p program.

fullbug

Topic Starter

Apprentice
                          « Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 12:19:42 PM »
                          Well, the program itself did tests on my computer while installing checking if needed ports were open, and they were/are, I think the ports were in the 6000 range, in any case I can now seed on 3 different torrent sites....

Deerpark

Egghead
                            « Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 12:28:41 PM »
                            Your modem must support UPnP then. uTorrent can tell the modem what ports it needs forwarded and it is done automatically.

fullbug

Topic Starter

Apprentice
                              « Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 01:04:44 PM »
                              Interesting, until the last few days I knew ZERO about ports...