Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP Crash - system blames Crystal SF driver  (Read 4908 times)

Alex Walker

Windows XP Crash - system blames Crystal SF driver
« on: January 25, 2005, 03:52:22 PM »
I have recently installed Windows XP Professional on my Thinkpad 600x. Everything in the installation went fine, I've installed a small amount of software (Firefox, Photoshop, a couple of audio players, Avast antivirus), and I have dutifully installed all of the updates, including Service Pack 2. Unfortunately, the machine has a tendency to crash during shutdown, which always results in it coming back up and telling me it has "recovered from a serious error". After submitting the reports, it suggests that the problem is due to a missing driver - Crystal SF (WDM) Audio Driver. However, it always fails when I try to install this, resulting in the whole sad story starting all over again. I have followed the instructions on the Windows driver help page, most of which involved renaming the catroot2 file, but this did me no good. It's also worth noting that, in addition to failing to install, the driver often gives me an error that says the software "has not passed Windows logo testing".

Can anyone help me out here? Is this audio driver really what is causing my machine to crash every time I try to shut it down?

Thanks a lot,
Alex