Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Files and Settings Transfer Wizard help  (Read 2787 times)

gator662

Topic Starter

Files and Settings Transfer Wizard help
    « on: March 25, 2008, 07:37:37 AM »
    I recently had problems with my computer so I opted to do a re-install of Windows XP. I used the files and settings transfer wizard to transfer some of my programs to a secondary FreeAgent hard drive. It shows the files as being copied in 4 different files for a total of around 5GB. My problem is they are all DAT files and I can't figure out how to retrieve the programs. Please help. I am lost. :o The secondary hard drive connects to my computer via USB.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Files and Settings Transfer Wizard help
    « Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 01:47:56 PM »
    I beleieve you need to run FAST on the new setup and point it to where the files are located when prompted...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

gator662

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 06:03:57 PM »
      How do I do that? And is there a way to only recover certain files? I couldn't get it to work so I have already reloaded all my programs on the new install. So I don't really need them all now, my aol has changed to the new software so I don't really want the old. All I really want is my pictures. If there is not a way, can I use system restore once I get my pictures back and save them elsewhere. Sorry but I really just need my pictures and that is all. Thanks for your help. ::)

midsail

Hopeful
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 06:35:10 PM »
        Had same problem here is a link that u need to follow:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/fast.htm

GET THE UPDATED VERSION OF FAST

Once u have down load this updated to FAST u can begin:

Follow the instructions, but DO NOT SELECT THE FILE USMT2.UNC , INSTEAD JUST SELECT THE LETTER DRIVE OF THE AGENT FREE AGENT in my case it was D:\.

It worked great.

midsail

Hopeful
          « Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 06:44:19 PM »
          BTW if u select the file it will give u a error,just select the drive letter of the USB HHD.

midsail

Hopeful
            « Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 06:56:47 PM »
            Finally found the link I was looking for:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&tid=18572829-69d0-4650-a554-40a21c56c908&cat=en-us-ms-winxp&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1

check rodeo fix,sorry it took me so long to post the link. I have allot of them. I guess someday I will have to arrange and update them.