Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DVD-R Drive not working.  (Read 3619 times)

Timus

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    DVD-R Drive not working.
    « on: March 25, 2008, 01:36:23 PM »
    First, some background information.

I recently bought a new hard-drive and DVD-R drive, both SATA. I hooked them both up, installed Windows on the new hard-drive and managed to install my mother boards drivers.

Both installing Windows XP and the Drivers required CD's, and my DVD-R worked perfectly for those, however, once the drivers were installed I tried to use a DVD and it stopped working.

The first thing I did was perform a system restore, as I had nothing to lose in doing so (it being a new hard-drive and me not having installed anything on it) after the system restore my CD-Drive appeared to be working again, however, I didn't actually need to run anything off it (as the executable for my drivers remained despite the system restore).

That's the background, now let me give you all the relevant information:

Windows detects nothing wrong with it, I've been through all their trouble-shooting and I came to these forums in hopes of getting something that's not taken directly out of a troubleshooting guide.

If I have a CD in my drive Windows does not start up, it stays at 'welcome' for a while then goes into a blank desktop (that is, a background without and GUI)

While I can't see any particularly eye-catching words/phrases/brand-names on the DVD-R drive, in device manager it is called 'HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH20NS10'

If you need any further information ask for it in this topic, although I'm not sure what else I can provide.

Thanks.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: DVD-R Drive not working.
    « Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 01:39:45 PM »
    Did you double check the MBoard layout to see if the HDD is on SATA1 and the DVD on SATA2 ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Timus

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 01:43:11 PM »
      Thank-you for your speedy reply patio, as for your concern the hard-drive is on SATA1 and the DVD on SATA2. Windows detects them as being on 'Location 0: Primary ATA Channel' and 'Location 0: Secondary ATA Channel' respectively.

Would it have even worked in the first place if this wasn't the case? Not rhetorical, I don't have much more than a users knowledge of computers.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 03:03:15 PM »
      No it probably wouldn't as the drivers for the DVD need to be on the boot drive which would be the Windows HDD...
      If it looked at the DVD first it wouldn't find drivers and move to the 2nd SATA device by default.
      Try re-installing the SATA drivers for the DVD drive...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Timus

Topic Starter

Rookie
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 06:36:09 PM »
        No it probably wouldn't as the drivers for the DVD need to be on the boot drive which would be the Windows HDD...
        If it looked at the DVD first it wouldn't find drivers and move to the 2nd SATA device by default.
        Try re-installing the SATA drivers for the DVD drive...

I never needed to install any SATA drivers for the DVD drive in the first place.

How would I go about finding SATA drivers? Doesn't windows automatically have drivers for Hard drives and DVD-R drives?

I think the problem might be more complicated, as I said, I've already tried all the basic troubleshooting. It may be worth reiterating that the DVD drive only seemed to screw up after installing the drivers for my mother-board.

I'm willing to try re-installing the SATA drivers, however, I wouldn't know where to start as far as obtaining them.