Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help with Excel formula!!  (Read 5359 times)

jlhoops33

Topic Starter

Starter

Need help with Excel formula!!
    « on: March 25, 2008, 02:16:23 PM »
    Hi there.  I am trying to put together an excel formula, and have no idea what I'm doing.  I do know that maybe it has something to do with conditional formatting.  I am basically working on a spreadsheet with each column set up for a different time period, and I want the latter column to reflect a change from the previous column's data.  Whatever the data in the previous column reflects, I want the cell following it in the second column to change yellow if it varies by 10% or less.  If it's more than 10%, I want it to change to red.  Is this enough info for someone to help me?  If you need anything else, let me know & THANKS!

squall_01

Prodigy

Re: Need help with Excel formula!!
      « Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 04:39:56 PM »
      Are you using Excel 07?
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

NOT ADMIN :P

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 06:19:09 PM »
        i dont think you can use conditional formatting for percentage differences in time formatted cells.

You could format the cells to numerical and use 24 hour time. eg 20.5 would equal 8:30pm and it would work that way.

I could write a formulae that would take the value and change the colour of a cell if that is greater than the previous cell by 10%

I havent done this using times tho...

I will give it a try 2nite. im in aus so morning for you???

Tell me if i you dont mind using numerical formatting (like 19.5 would be 7:30 )because that would be easier by far...

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 03:43:51 AM »
          Its alot easier to do what he wants if hes using the 07 ver.
          Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 09:43:05 AM »
          Using military time, I tested conditional formatting, using just four columns total.  Here's a screen print:

Using conditional formatting in this case simply requires using two conditions, one for change <= 10% and one for change greater than 10%.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 09:59:20 AM »
            Thats the dumbest thing I seen.  Thats if he's using 07 an I dont know that yet, an you cant tell whats in cell D1 any way.  If he's using 07 the number will show up that its lower the 10%

soybean

Genius
            « Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 10:10:35 AM »
            Thats the dumbest thing I seen.  Thats if he's using 07 an I dont know that yet, an you cant tell whats in cell D1 any way.  If he's using 07 the number will show up that its lower the 10%
            What's your point, squall_01?  If you want to know the forumla in D1, ask.  It's =C1/A1. 

If he's using 07 the number will show up that its lower the 10%
            What was the point of this remark?  I simply posted the case where the change was greater than 10%.  Do I need to post another screen print showing a case where the change was less than or equal to 10% and displayed in yellow to convince you that conditional formatting works?  Don't be ridiculous.  In my last post, I said, "Using conditional formatting in this case simply requires using two conditions, one for change <= 10% and one for change greater than 10%."

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 11:11:08 AM »
              I know what it is but you can see the result.  That its easier to see an do. 

soybean

Genius
              « Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 11:44:35 AM »
              Is this what you want? 

A1B1C1D115:0017:00=B1-A1=C1/A1

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 01:37:19 PM »
                I ment to say cant. 

michaewlewis

Intermediate
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                • Experience: Expert
                « Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 01:52:19 PM »
                It's just as easy in Excel 2003 as in Excel 2007.
                In Excel 2003, create your range of numbers, select them, and go to Format -> Conditional Formatting... and set your conditions.
                In Excel 2007, create your range of numbers, select them, and go to Home -> Conditional Formatting and set your conditions.

soybean

Genius
                « Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 01:59:27 PM »
                I figured so.   ::)  Thanks for confirming that.   :)

michaewlewis

Intermediate
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                • Experience: Expert
                « Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 02:05:06 PM »

Although, technically it may be a little easier in 2007. Especially if the Home tab is already selected. In that case you would only have to click once to bring up the dialog. :P

soybean

Genius
                « Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 02:10:00 PM »
                Right, I know the menu structure in Excel 2007 is completely different from previous versions.  But, otherwise, the procedure for conditional formatting is basically the same, as you stated in your first reply.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 05:31:55 PM »

Although, technically it may be a little easier in 2007. Especially if the Home tab is already selected. In that case you would only have to click once to bring up the dialog. :P

Thank You  ;D