Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dual problems, System default colors changed, no sound from rear output  (Read 2869 times)

sheryldotrock

Topic Starter

Starter

Microsoft Windows XP Pro version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 on an Intel pentium 4 processor. This is an Hp Compaq dx2200 microtower pc. Problems began when I switched from desktop speakers to headphones using the front panel headphone jack. Now the rear audio out no longer works. It doesn't matter how I configure the sound through control panel sound options-I am only getting sound through the front headphone jack. I have a Realtek integrated sound chip. I wrote to HP's email tech support and they suggested that I clear my CMOS. Problem is I couldn't see the tiny print on the motherboard well enough to identify the CMOS jumper. So, idiot that I am, I unplugged the cables that were in the area identified on the graphic they sent me near the CMOS. I plugged them all back into their original positions. (I never even saw the CMOS jumper the first time I went in because I had no idea what it looked like.) When I rebooted, all my colors were reset. Everything that is supposed to be blue is green and everything that is supposed to be white is yellow or has a yellowish cast to it. This is also the case even when I am in BIOS so I know it's not a "Windows" setting.   That's problem number two. Back to problem number 1-I went back to the graphic HP referred me to and manipulated it so I could identify the CMOS. I went back in and moved the jumper from pins 2-3 to pins 1-2-did this for 5 seconds as told by them and then returned the jumper to it's original position. After reboot and updating the Realtek sound architecture and it's drivers, I still get no sound from my rear output. And my system colors are still messed up. Any suggestions?

jimyan

Greenhorn

PROBLEM 2:
        Try to fix any loose connection w/ your monitor connection to the CPU.
        If it aint work, try using other good-working monitor.

PROBLEM 1:
        I think u have a problem with your front audio jacks. There are some jumper configurations in installing front audio jacks. Try removing the connection of the front jacks from the mother board. Then try the rear jack if it works. If still it does not work, try downloading your motherboard manual for any front-audio-jumper config.

sheryldotrock

Topic Starter

Starter

My connections are tight. Btw, I never touched the monitor settings. They were fine before I went on my little escapade to find the CMOS. What other connections to the motherboard could I have undone to cause this? Will try disconnecting the front sound (if I can find it-lol) and let you know how it works out.

sheryldotrock

Topic Starter

Starter

I unplugged the front audio and voile! my rear jack is now functioning! Thank you. Still having the video problem though.