Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trying to recover boot partition on drive using Active Partition  (Read 2587 times)

brucern

Topic Starter

Has anyone recovered a boot partition on a drive using Active Partition? I never have but need to try. I did a deep scan and it found the boot partition ok and it says 'recoverable' by it. When I tried to recover it tells me some partition is overlapped on it and it fails so this is a clue I'm sure. Then it also says to delete the overlapped partition first but I'm not sure what partition is the good one. So now I want to be sure I do the next steps right to get it to work again. What happened was that I had tried to install windows XP on a unpartitioned part of the HD but in the process it must've overwrote the original boot partition some. I didn't proceed fully with the XP install but did go back in and delete the partition I was going to install it on thinking that would fix it but it didn't. I have high hopes in restoring it but want to proceed with caution. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Trying to recover boot partition on drive using Active Partition
    « Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 06:49:51 AM »
    Boot with your XP CD in...hit R to load the Recovery Console.
    At the prompt type fixboot and hit Enter.
    Remove the XP CD and re-boot.

If there's still no change repeat the procedure but type in fixmbr.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "