Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Gaming PC Build  (Read 3218 times)

what_what

Topic Starter

Rookie

Gaming PC Build
    « on: March 28, 2008, 10:57:42 PM »
    I am building a Gaming PC (also used for school and surfing the net) and am trying to make a few crucial decisions.

I have a 37" LG lcd hdtv and my computer monitor. I am trying to find out how I can use both screens as computer monitors. I want to be able to use the LG tv as both a tv and a computer monitor without having to disconnect any cables or disable one monitor. When I decided to play games, surf the internet , or whatever else on the LG hdtv I want to be able to do so. If I want to do this what type of motherboard and graphics card do I need? What specs do I need to have in these two components in order to obtain the preceeding setup? Any suggestions on a motherboard and graphics card that would be suitable? (I am buying from newegg.com or a major electronics store like BestBuy, CircuitCity, or CompUSA) Could you search these sites or something and direct me to what I would need? Also my budget is fairly flexible but obviously I don't want to spend more than I have to but I want to be able to expand if needed in the future. I want a relatively high end graphics card but not a ridiculously expensive one (was looking around $200 for the card).

Also, I am trying to decide on the processor to use for this system. What processor is going to run faster for both gaming and computing in general:

1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017
    2. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115028

Thanks in advance.

homer

Expert
      Re: Gaming PC Build
      « Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 01:28:43 AM »
      regarding the CPU,

the E6850 is out of the question, the E6XXX series have been replaced by the E8XXX series.

if you  are into overclocking, i would go for the Q6600. many people have been able to overclock theirs to 3gHz, mind you they had to install aftermarket CPU heatsinks.

if you are not into overclocking i recommend the E8400. it is a dual core CPU native @ 3gHz.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

regarding the 37" tv,

this tv might be a little much for a graphics card, i dont know how well any games will look or handle on a screen that large. but if you have it already, it doesnt hurt to try.

If I want to do this what type of motherboard do I need?

depends on your budget and if you want an SLI ready board.

If I want to do this what type of graphics card do I need?

a good one. you will, however, not get a high end graphics card for only $200. i recommend the EVGA 8800 GTS 512mb for $269.99 @ newegg.

hejlik

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
        « Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 05:59:47 AM »
        Although not a big fan of SLI, it may be necessary when running a monitor this big. Especially if it is a graphically intensive game and you want to run it at high resolutions.
        Dan

No matter where you go    there you are.

ASUS P5B DELUXE, Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, CORSAIR XMS2 4GB DDR2 800, GeForce 7900GS, SeaSonic EPS12V 500W Power Supply, Western Digital Caviar 160GB SATA Hard Drive

what_what

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 02:30:37 PM »
          Well I do not have the knowledge yet on how to overclock (hoping to learn) but even so the E8400 has been able to be overclocked to 3.6ghz without changing the voltage and running stable so I am going to go with this CPU instead of the Q6600. If I am going with the E8400 what would be a good motherboard for what I am looking to do. I am not going to play games on the TV just surf and use it for things other applications other than games because I am going to buy another monitor than the one I have now for gaming. For the graphics card I am looking to spend around $250 to $300 to get a little better one. All together I would like to stay around $400 to $450 for the motherboard and graphics card. Any suggestions for that?

homer

Expert
            « Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 03:31:34 PM »
            graphics card
            motherboard

total comes to $450 excluding taxes and shipping. with the motherboard, it appears you will need to update the BIOS to be able to use it with the E8400. personally, i would save up an extra $100 and get the 780i motherboard. however, if you do not have the money right at this time, you can buy the 680i now and take advantage of EVGA's step-up program later.

t_blake07

Apprentice
              « Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 08:01:46 PM »
              Check out my specs below. I have all this hooked up to a 42" LCD HDTV. My TV supports 1080p, but I can play Crysis all day at 720p, along with all the other stuff like surfing and other apps. Something about 1080p my GPU doesn't like, even though it also supports Full HD.

homer

Expert
                « Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 02:16:03 AM »
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130325

this is the one you want.

a side note, you seem to be confused about choosing video cards. in your list of video cards, you have listed some of the same cards repeatedly, just with different vendors. let me clear this up, you listed the 8800GTS 512mb three times. an 8800GTS is an 8800GTS regardless of the vendor, with the exception that some vendors do some stock overclocking and charge a ton extra for it. to figure out which vendor to buy from, you will need to decide that based on a few things, such as their prices, their warranty, and their customer support among other things. personally, i like EVGA because of their prices (relatively cheaper then most vendors), their warranty (you can buy an aftermarket cooler for your GPU without voiding the warranty), and their customer support (i never had to use it but apparently its pretty good.)