Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: nothing showing up on monitor, newly built PC  (Read 3341 times)

miniviking10

Topic Starter

Rookie

nothing showing up on monitor, newly built PC
    « on: March 29, 2008, 01:02:26 PM »
    specs--- nvidia 8800 gts 640mb, q6600 processor, 4gb memory (g-skill extreme edition), asus p5n32 sli deluxe motherboard, 1000 watt coolmax power supply.

ok so when my dad first built the PC he was using some crap case with an LED screen on the front. We turned it on and the setup screen came up and such but when we pressed the button it told us to press to setup, it wasn't really responding, so my dad was messing around with the buttons on the LED screen and it was changing the time and everything. but my dad pressed one of the buttons (temperature button) and the whole computer shut down. we turned it back on and everything was still working, all the fans and harddrive, and graphics card, processor and motherboard, everything. but nothing is showing up on the monitor. we tried 2 monitors and both are the same. nothing is showing up. so my dad tried our old hard drive, our old video card,  and same result.

so he decided the case is probably short circuited somewhere or something and he went and bought the antec 900 pc case. he went through it slowly building it this time and he started it up, everything working but still absolutely nothing on the monitor.

so...is the motherboard short circuited or something? video card too? everytihng is new except the processor but that was rarely used. my dad built our current PC and it's a gaming one too and works fine. i really need some advice or something because my dad is about to go buy another motherboard and it might not even be that.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: nothing showing up on monitor, newly built PC
    « Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 01:07:22 PM »
    Are you using on - board video, or a separate graphics card? 

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

miniviking10

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 01:08:53 PM »
      i dont know lol....what u mean.

im guessing separate since we bought it off ebay and have to connect it to the motherboard...well now it sounds like on board. i dont konw.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 01:11:51 PM »
      My fault:  many motherboards have on-board video support, with a video connector that is grouped near the USB and ethernet ports, etc.

Do you know if it's a video card that's installed onto the board?  Usually first or highest in the row of slotlike arrangements closer to the bottom of the (vertical) case?

miniviking10

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 01:15:08 PM »
        no i dont think it is.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 01:17:50 PM »
        Do you get anything at all upon boot up?  Any RAM (memory) displays or the POST (Power On Self Test) display, or just straight to "No signal"?

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 01:20:30 PM »
        we bought it off ebay and have to connect it to the motherboard...well now it sounds like on board. i dont konw.
        "it" is a video card, right?  So, that's not onboard video.  Onboard means it's part of the motherboard, it's on board the motherboard, it's integrated into the motherboard. 

miniviking10

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 01:23:15 PM »
          ok its a separate video card.

miniviking10

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 01:29:04 PM »
            Do you get anything at all upon boot up?  Any RAM (memory) displays or the POST (Power On Self Test) display, or just straight to "No signal"?
            yah on my lcd screen, the light stays yellow and never turns green (only the one time we had it on) and on the other monitor (regular old CRT monitor) nothing shows up.

nothing at all shows up.

miniviking10

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 02:19:29 PM »
              so does anyone know what the problem is? is it the mobo?