Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CPU questions  (Read 2550 times)

Adam

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    CPU questions
    « on: March 29, 2008, 11:48:56 AM »
    I'm thinking of upgrading my CPU from AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ to a 6400+. Will this work in my ASUS M2N4-SLI motherboard? (I don't see any reason why it shouldn't; it uses the correct socket). Will I need a new CPU heatsink and fan? Will I need to upgrade my PSU?

PC specs:

ASUS M2N4-SLI motherboard
    AMD Athlon X2 4200+
    3GB RAM
    PNY Nvidia Geforce 8800GT
    Sound Blaster X-FI XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
    Don't know PSU or wattage (I'm guessing at least 400W because my Geforce 8800GT works)

Thanks in advance

homer

Expert
      Re: CPU questions
      « Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 12:34:18 PM »
      the new CPU should work in your motherboard.

Will I need a new CPU heatsink and fan?

depends if you buy it in the OEM version or the retail version. OEM version does not come with a heatsink and fan whereas the retail version does.

Will I need to upgrade my PSU?

depends, as you were quite unsure what the actual wattage of your PSU is. i recommend looking for the wattage rating on your power supply. it will be on the back, where you plug into, or it will be on one of the sides. if the label is on one of the sides, then you will need to remove your PSU so you can read it.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 01:08:39 PM »
      if the label is on one of the sides, then you will need to remove your PSU so you can read it.
      Not necessarily, it depends on what side it's on.  He may be able see it by just opening the computer case.

Adam

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 01:33:36 PM »

depends if you buy it in the OEM version or the retail version. OEM version does not come with a heatsink and fan whereas the retail version does.

depends, as you were quite unsure what the actual wattage of your PSU is. i recommend looking for the wattage rating on your power supply. it will be on the back, where you plug into, or it will be on one of the sides. if the label is on one of the sides, then you will need to remove your PSU so you can read it.

Will my current CPU fan and heatsink work?

Adam

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 02:32:02 PM »

Is there no other way to find out the PSU wattage. I couldn't find a label when I looked inside (I didn't remove the PSU).

homer

Expert
            « Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 03:13:11 PM »
            Will my current CPU fan and heatsink work?

it might work, but i doubt it will cool as effectively as a 6400+ heatsink/fan. i would simply buy the retail version of the CPU and get the stock heatsink with it, unless you plan on overclocking, in which case you should buy a good aftermarket CPU heatsink/fan.

Is there no other way to find out the PSU wattage.

if you looked on the back and on the visible sides of the PSU while its in the case and did not find a label, then im afraid there is no other way to find the PSU wattage. unless of course this is a pre-made comp and you know the model number of the computer.