Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Keyboard!  (Read 6815 times)

jurassicmark3

Keyboard!
« on: October 07, 2011, 12:42:43 AM »
When i press shift with numbers 2 and 3 i get (@) and (#) instead of the (") and the pound sign.  I would put the pound sign down but because of this problem i 
cant find it on the keyboard!  The normal (@) key is replaced with the (") key....
Has anyone got any ideas on how i can change my keyboard back to how it should be, i got it given and I'm quite new to computers so im not to sure what to do, thanks.

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Keyboard!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 01:04:20 AM »
@ and # are the normal with 2 and 3 on a regular US English keyboard layout.

You will need to check in Language and Regional Options for what layout your keyboard is using. Default for XP is usually US English (unless you're using a regional variant).

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 01:05:36 AM »
Please post more information on the computer model/brand, Operating system you are using? Have you tried a different keyboard? There is a properties  for the keyboard found on your Control Panel, post also some information on formats/defaults/language that was set.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 02:58:25 AM »
@ and # are the normal with 2 and 3 on a regular US English keyboard layout.

You will need to check in Language and Regional Options for what layout your keyboard is using. Default for XP is usually US English (unless you're using a regional variant).

This is correct.  If it's the case that the layout has changed spontaneously, this may help: http://pomeroy.me/content/windows-keyboard-layout-has-changed-spontaneously
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 03:01:47 AM »
UK layout

US layout

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 03:08:54 AM »
Something that may cause transatlantic confusion:

I believe many Americans call this character a "pound" sign or symbol (Brits call it a "hash" symbol):

A UK automated switchboard might say "To hear those options again, press hash on your phone keypad now"

Brits call this a "pound" symbol:

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 03:15:43 AM »
Thank you for that bit of insight, ST. I wasn't familiar with the UK layout, but I see that what I said originally is likely the issue now.

Yep, we call it a pound sign. There's a rather odd story about how that came about, but it has to do with old typeset printers and not having a the "LB bar" (℔) symbol (seriously, that's what it was called). Somehow that became # and has been used since.