Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Updating software for 3.1 devices  (Read 2521 times)

MikeM

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    Updating software for 3.1 devices
    « on: March 31, 2008, 06:26:19 PM »
    Is there any software available to enable a device which runs of off Windows 3.1 to upgrade to XP? I have a scanner with a lighted lid that
    will scan up to legal size transparencies, but the computer it is hooked up to is a 1995 model with 3.1.  There is no modem or USB port on this
    computer, so the only way I can use the scanner and export the images is to use floppies. This does not always work as some scans have more info than a floppy can hold and using multiple floppies is a pain. I tried plugging the scanner in to my newer computer and it was a no go as the scanner was made to run off of Win 3.1. The scanner company said they did not know of any way to make it work with a newer version of windows.
    I thought that I had seen on the internet a site with software that will let
    3.1 devices talk to newer versions. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Updating software for 3.1 devices
    « Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 06:52:39 PM »
    Can you give us the make and model of your scanner?  How old is it?  Does it connect to a parallel port on the computer? 

I think some of us would like to confirm that the manufacturer has no driver for that scanner for any version of Windows newer than 3.1. 

MikeM

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
      « Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 09:19:32 PM »
      Scanner is an Envisions NV 6100, which was a re-branded U-Max.
      Hope this helps.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 01:39:31 AM »
      An XP driver is available on DriverGuide.com for Envisions 6100 (note: No NV) scanner.

Good luck
      One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.