Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't get PC to power up properly  (Read 2311 times)

Foobooy

Topic Starter

Starter

Can't get PC to power up properly
    « on: April 01, 2008, 03:45:22 PM »
    I think there is something wrong with my PC, but I can't figure out what it could be.

I haven't used this PC for about a year.  When I built my current PC I stripped this one of the DVD and CD Roms, the floppy drive and a wireless NIC card.  Based I this I assume the MB and video card are properly connected.

I got a CD R/RW, a DVD Rom and a floppy drive and plugged them in the PC.  Now, it randomly decides to somewhat work.  I push power and only the PS fan and my case fan run. Other times the Chip and Video card fans will start up too, but I won't hear the beep of the motherboard and I don't get any display.

The third option is it appears to start up, I get the motherboard screen acknowledgement and can get into the BIOS.  I set the thing to boot from the CD and restart with windows.  I am able to start setting up windows and format the HD.

The PC wants to restart, it does, and I get "Windows is Analyzing your hardware configuration"  then the screen goes blank, the CPU fan and case fan turn off; but the PS and Video card fans stay on!  Cntl Alt Del doesn't work, the restart and power buttons on the case don't work either.

I can't figure out what's wrong with this thing.  I cleared the CMOS a few times. I checked my jumpers: R/RW is master, DVD is slave.  HD is on IDE1.  I unplugged everything and reconnected.  I did notice the number 1 pin on my 20 pin PS to MB plug is scorched, but I don't know how long that's been like that.

SPECS:
    -MB: Biostar M7NCD
    -Video: GeForce fx 5200 AGP8X 128 bit
    -HD: Western Digital 80Gig
    -CD R/RW
    -DVD Rom
    -Standard Floppy drive
    -PS: 350W

Any ideas?

Foobooy

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: Can't get PC to power up properly
      « Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 04:07:13 PM »
      Sorry, forgot my CPU

AMD Athlon XP Socket A (1.8gigaHz)

homer

Expert
        « Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 04:17:35 PM »
        i would try another power supply, a known working one, on the PC. this will determine if the PSU is defective or not.

Foobooy

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 05:35:18 PM »
          Wow, that spare power supply I had was hard to find! heh

I got it hooked up and the PC seems more responsive.  I'm reformating again just to be safe.  It certainly seems this is the answer. Don't worry I'll come crying if it isn't.  ;D

Thanks much Homer!

Foobooy

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 07:06:25 PM »
            WOO HOO, that was it!

homer

Expert
              « Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 07:25:23 PM »
              glad to hear your up and running. :)