Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Please help, computer repair illiterate  (Read 6770 times)

squall_01

Prodigy

Re: Please help, computer repair illiterate
    « Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 10:15:37 AM »
    The only two things you could do is ESD or change something in the BIOS and make in unbootable.  Personally takeing it to patio would be a good option.
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 10:30:22 AM »
    I'm buried in snow or I would!!

I don't think I'm capable of doing most of these things! I may do more harm than good.

It's actually a good thing that you are mature enough to admit this. Check with some friends at school or even the School's IT department...they'll probably offer to do it for free if you bring in the case.
    I'd buy a new battery just in case and replace the one you have ...Part # CR2032 available at any Computer store and even Wally World.

Let us Know...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 10:36:32 AM »
      I'm buried in snow or I would!!

I don't think I'm capable of doing most of these things! I may do more harm than good.

It's actually a good thing that you are mature enough to admit this. Check with some friends at school or even the School's IT department...they'll probably offer to do it for free if you bring in the case.
      I'd buy a new battery just in case and replace the one you have ...Part # CR2032 available at any Computer store and even Wally World.

Let us Know...

I agree as some how my cpu got esd when I first started.  Ask a Hardware teacher.  You could try some Hardware repair for a fee.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

tjm

Starter

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 07:05:24 PM »
        If you're going to have the computer open you may as well check the obvious. Make sure the cables connecting the hard drive to the motherboard are secure and undamaged. Also make sure the device is receiving power, check that connection. Did your home PC have any sort of accident, like being dropped or knocked over? Lastly, do you know if your hard drive is IDE or SATA?

SLK

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 05:00:35 PM »
          I went to a nearby repair shop and was told that my problem is a well documented design flaw by Dell. This guy told me that there is inadequate air circulation in the Dimension desktops which is what causes my problems.
          He said that there are 1,000's of inferior units out there, and that I should wait to do anything because he feels they will react shortly and possibly recall or repair.
          Has anyone heard of this? I can't find anything about it, but hate to waste $$ on a replacement if I don't need to. This machine is less than 2 yrs old.
          Please let me know if anyone has any info?

Thanks! :'(

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #20 on: April 04, 2008, 10:06:55 AM »
          The battery is about 5 bucks and takes a minute to replace...if he didn't do this and is hanging your hopes on a recall by Dell i would find another technician as he is seemingly lacking in the skills department.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "