Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: program error thing question  (Read 2948 times)

Skater93207

program error thing question
« on: January 27, 2005, 04:44:35 PM »
what do i do when i have a program that says "program too big to fit in memory" and its an .exe program. i have windows xp just in case u needed to kno
« Last Edit: January 27, 2005, 04:56:57 PM by Skater93207 »

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: program error thing question
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 05:19:33 PM »
Mind giving us some more information? Like your hard disk space, and such...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Skater93207

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 05:50:01 PM »
well its not like my memory is low because i have like 20 gb left of space and its basic space is 34 gb so i dont think thats the problem.....also i dont really know what to do about virtual memory and stuff.and i have 256 ram and 1.30 ghz processor speed

Zzyzx

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 07:34:11 AM »
Virtual memory is hard disk space that Windows uses when physical RAM is over committed. This space is a hidden file called pagefile.sys and is maintained by Windows. When XP is installed, Windows computes the minimum and maximum size of the pagefile based on your physical memory( Min= 1.5 * RAM) (Max = 3 * RAM). Windows uses the pagefile to page programs and data in and out of RAM when need for actual execution.

You can increase your pagefile by going to ControlPanel-->Advanced-->Click on Settings in the Performance Area-->Advanced-->Change.

If you haven't run a defrag lately, now would be a good time.  You can also monitor MSCONFIG and see what programs are being started.

8)

Skater93207

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 07:05:48 PM »
defrag didnt work...and what u were talkin about in control panels..."advanced" doesnt exist in their..

Zzyzx

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2005, 08:24:28 AM »
Sorry for the mistake. It should read:

ControlPanel-->System-->Advanced-->In Performance Area click Settings-->Advanced

You can make the change by hitting Change in the Virtual Memory Area (bottom of screen).

Hope this helps.  8)

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2005, 01:04:48 PM »
What is the exact message thats displayed on your screen?is the exe program ...downloaded from the net?

Skater93207

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2005, 12:59:17 AM »
yea downloaded from ares...and the exact message is "program too big to fit memory"....i dk what it is because when ive downloaded exe files like this before on a different computer the same thing happened but i dk what i should do.....should i just delete it?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 01:04:33 AM by Skater93207 »