Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: packard bell board  (Read 3828 times)

tim yates

packard bell board
« on: January 26, 2005, 07:46:15 PM »
 ;D Hi there again, I'm back with a new question. I have an old packard bell 5615 with 233 Mhz. I hear I can hot rod it up a bit. How to set these jumpers to get it there. If that doesn't work will have to get a better board and cpu. Just thought I would try this first. I need to get it up around 300 Mhz or better to run some programs. thanks

wrwss

Intermediate
  • PITTSBURGH,PA.
    Re: packard bell board
    « Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 09:49:07 PM »
    depending what cpu it is,you should be able to go into the bios and change the clockspeed almost up another 100 mhz.let us know what cpu.
    WRWSS

tim yates

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 05:49:45 AM »
    will try that and also will look at the cpu and write down the info tonight when I get home. thanks

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 12:11:34 PM »
    That's probably a Pentium II-233MHz, 66MHz FSB with 3.5 Multiplier.  PII's are multiplier locked and cannot be overclocked.  Since your FSB is 66 MHz and there was no 100MHz at the time, you're stuck with 66MHz.  Motherboard may be able to support 266 and 300MHz.  There's probably a jumper for this.  Memory is also an issue.  PC-66 memory is not PC-100 or PC-133 and cannot run at a higher speed.

I have a PII-266MHz Dell which works the same way.

yatabata

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 07:38:32 PM »
    ya just found out that I have a 790/795 mb and pretty much locked into 233 Mhz max. darnit anyway got another option though unless you got another suggestion for this mother board with 7 socket cpu? I found a website with great deals for computers. craigslist.org which is all over the country kinda like ebay listings. There is a Pentium 3 500 Mhz in here for 65 bucks. Just emailed them to see if I can get this. for this price why not. its the whole tower with everything plus a keyboard. ;D

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 10:58:21 AM »
    You probably won't be able to use your old memory, unless it's PC100 or PC133.  PIII-500 is 100MHz bus speed with 5X multiplier.  PIII-500 is Slot 1 configuration.
    PC100-133 memory is expensive because it's no longer manufactured but still available.  PC133-128MB is $50.

I just finished my upgrade.  Found a computer in the trash, PIII-667EB.  CPU was good, but mobo BIOS was trashed, unable to flash it.  Power supply was blown out, which probably killed the BIOS/CMOS.  Put CPU in place of my PIII-450.  My BIOS/mobo allows manual settings of multiplier and FSB.  Had to underclock because one memory stick is PC125 (that's right...PC125) and it's rated at PC100.  It's Micron and not some no-name brand.  Set multiplier to 5X and FSB to 112, so CPU runs at 560MHz.
    « Last Edit: January 28, 2005, 11:00:13 AM by Computer_Commando »

yatabata

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2005, 07:05:39 PM »
    well here we go again but this time ;D meaning I found a dell g1 with 350mhz for 50 bucks. Wow it works with my home studio and tascam interface. now just need to see how it works track on track. I got this through a website that is all over the place. you probably have heard of it and if you want super good deals I suggest you check it out. just go to the state your in or town and hit the computer section. the website is craigslist.org. amazing. as much stuff as ebay but this you don't have to pay for and people email you back selling stuff cheap. I should get some kinda of award for this tip. hahaha have fun. tim