Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DVD-RW Drive {Will not burn discs} {Will not use DMA}  (Read 2921 times)

LeNoir

DVD-RW Drive {Will not burn discs} {Will not use DMA}
« on: April 06, 2008, 05:57:15 PM »
Hello forums!

I hope that you would be so kind as to give me some advice on fixing my DVD-RW drive. I'll try to be as descriptive as possible.

Symptoms: Will not recognize blank DVDs. Will not switch to DMA mode and stays only in PIO.

Clues: Will read discs with data already on them. DVD Movies play very slowly. (Though most likely from the PIO mode) The drive used to be Ultra-DMA but one day when my movies started playing slowly I checked and it (suddenly) became PIO. At one point I got it to go back to DMA but it went right back to PIO.

Specs: The drives jumpers are currently set to Master. It is (now) using the middle/lower connector of the IDE cable.
My computer is SATA compatible, but I am only using IDE. My computer lists 3 Primary IDE channels and 3 Secondary IDE channels, with the disc drive occupying the Master slot of the last Secondary IDE Channel.

HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA-4164B seems to be the name/brand/etc of the drive.

eMachines W3400
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ ~2000 Mhz

Windows XP SP2
1 Gig of RAM
ATI Radeon XPress 200

Motherboard is an MSI-ATI.

*EDIT* Forgot to mention I have Phoenix AWARD Bios. Also, I have uninstalled, reinstalled, and searched for new drivers; TO no avail.

I'll post any other information you need.

P.S. I looked through a few pages of threads but I didn't see anything too similar. I apologize if this thread has been asked a million times.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: DVD-RW Drive {Will not burn discs} {Will not use DMA}
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 07:37:10 PM »
The drive if jumpered as master should be connected to the END IDE connector of the secondary IDE channel for now.
After hooking it up this way travel to Device Manager and locate the Secondary IDE channel...right click it and select Remove/Uninstall.
You will recieve a warning message...ignore it and re-boot.
The drive should now work normally.
To double-check go back to Device Manager and make sure the secondary channel is set to UDMA if available or DMA...

P.S. No apology neccessary and Welcome to CH !
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "