Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Network Internet Connection  (Read 3333 times)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

Network Internet Connection
    « on: April 05, 2008, 03:20:44 PM »
    I'm using 2K, this is an dial-up connection.  I go into Network an Dial-up connection right click go into sharing an say enable an get a error message.

can't enable shared access

Error 783: Ineternet Connection Sharing cannot be enabled.  The LAN connection selected as a private network is ether not present or is disconnected from the network.  Please ensure the LAN adapter is connected before enableing connection sharing.
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Deerpark

Egghead
      Re: Network Internet Connection
      « Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 03:27:09 PM »
      I'm guessing you want to share your internet connection?
      Is your computer connected to a LAN?
      If yes, tell us about this LAN. What is connected to it and how.
      Have you configured the LAN network adapter with a static IP? If you have, set it to automatic instead.
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 04:07:59 PM »
        Yes thats what I am wanting to do, hopefully.  ::) Yes Directly to a telephone connector using a telephone cable.  I dont no since I'm not that network fluent sorry.    :(
        Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Deerpark

Egghead
          « Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 04:23:02 PM »
          What do you want to share the connection with and how is this other thing connected to your computer?

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 08:50:20 PM »
            Dell Dimension, RJ45 - CAT 5 but thats about as much as I know.

Deerpark

Egghead
              « Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 02:21:17 AM »
              Do windows show the LAN adapter as connected?
              Open a command prompt and type ipconfig -all.
              Post the result here.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 02:45:58 AM »
                Wind 2K IP config

Ehternet Adapter Local Area Connection

Media States --- Cable Disconnected

PPP Adapter Dial-up Connection

connection-specfic DNS Suffix

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.255
                Default Gateway - 204.11.86.233
                « Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 03:51:55 AM by squall_01 »

Deerpark

Egghead
                  « Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 03:03:51 AM »
                  Windows doesn't detect any cable for your Ethernet adapter, so as far as Windows is concerned your computer and the Dell Dimension are not connected.
                  Ehternet Adapter Local Area Connection

Media States --- Cable Disconnected
                  Is the two computers connected directly to each other with a RJ 45 cable or do you have hub/switch/router in between?
                  If they're directly connected, have you remembered to use a crossed RJ 45 cable? A regular one wont work.

(Oh and you should probably edit the IP address for your Dial-up connection out of your last post. It is a WAN IP so in theory someone could use it to hack you.)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 04:02:56 AM »
                    Sorry Nivoce to networking,  :( I'll connect the   two then.  A hub, I didnt know what you really needed since you didnt state anything specfic.  Hopefully this will prevent it right??

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 03:43:10 AM »
                      It seems to work know.  ;D