Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: unable to use Windows/Microsoft Update  (Read 3061 times)

Trouble8Me

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

unable to use Windows/Microsoft Update
    « on: April 09, 2008, 11:33:58 PM »
     When I try to access windows update or microsoft update I get the following message:

Please change your Internet Explorer security settings
    To save changes to your settings for this website, you need to enable userdata persistence for Internet Explorer. Complete the steps below, and then click Change settings to the left and try saving your changes again.
    In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
    Click the Security tab, click the Internet security zone icon, and then click Custom Level.
    In the Settings dialog box, scroll to the Miscellaneous section.
    Under Userdata persistence , select Enable.
    Click OK and when the security warning dialog box appears, click Yes.

Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem (error number 0x800A0046) yourself. 

They have a KB article describing 4 methods to fix this but none of them work.
    My security settings are already correct despite this error message. I have also tried it with my anti-virus off but , no luck.  I use winxp pro w/service pk2. I use kaspersky anti-virus but that has never interfered before so I don't believe it has anything to do with why this is happening. any ideas?

ÐØñňą

Trouble8Me

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: unable to use Windows/Microsoft Update
      « Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 08:58:08 AM »
      It turns out that ( after a few re-starts) one of the following suggestions actually works:

0x800A0046 error code
      To resolve this error, use one of the following methods:
      Method 1: Remove the user account that is experiencing difficulty from the Guests or Limited account groups
      1. Click Start, click Run, type control admintools, and then click OK. 
      2. Click Computer Management. 
      3. Expand Local Users and Groups. 
      4. Select Users. 
      5. Open the account that is used to access Windows Update or Microsoft Update. 
      6. Click the Member Of tab. 
      7. Select the user account that you want to remove, and then click Remove.

Method 2: Set the Security Descriptor
      1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK. 
      2. Type sc sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU), and then press ENTER.

You will receive a "Success" message.

Note The Sc.exe tool is not available in a default Windows 2000 installation. The Sc.exe tool can be found from the Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit. 
      3. Type Exit to close the command prompt.
      4. Try Windows Update or Microsoft Update again. 

Method 3: Add the Local Administrator and Service accounts to the Impersonate a client after authentication policy
      1. Click Start, click Run, type secpol.msc, and then press ENTER.
      2. Expand Local Policies. 
      3. Click User Rights Assignment. 
      4. Double-click to open the Impersonate a client after authentication policy 
      5. On the Local Security Settings tab, click Add User or Group, and then add the Administrator and Service to the list of Users and Groups. 
      6. Click OK, and then restart the computer. 

Method 4: Configure the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service to log on as a Local System account
      1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
      2. Locate and right-click the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service, and then click Properties. 
      3. On the Log On tab, click Local System account, click Apply, and then click OK. 
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      ÐØñňą

NOT ADMIN :P

Intermediate

Re: unable to use Windows/Microsoft Update
        « Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 08:12:13 PM »
        I use kaspersky anti-virus but that has never interfered before so I don't believe it has anything to do with why this is happening. any ideas?

Kaspersky never interfered with your programs internet use?

What permissions you got it set on?

I have had so much trouble with kaspersky and like many many others have given up on it and anything slightly related

Post Edited for Content
        Please keep it clean.

patio.
        « Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 09:34:41 AM by patio »