Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External hard drive inaccessable  (Read 2658 times)

Mayhem

Topic Starter

Rookie
    External hard drive inaccessable
    « on: April 10, 2008, 10:26:14 PM »
    When I turn on my Lacie external hard drive (160GB, USB2) Windows Vista Home Premium tells me I can't use the drive until I format it. I've been using the drive for years and it has over 120GB of data on it. Needless to say, I don't want to lose this data. Can anyone recommend me a good (and preferably free) recovery program so I can still recover the files from that hard drive?

Thank you.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: External hard drive inaccessable
    « Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 12:55:12 AM »
    What's the file format of the external drive?  NTFS?  FAT32?

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Mayhem

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 03:37:17 AM »
      It was FAT32 but I converted it to NTFS about half a year ago. It has always worked without problems up til now. Sorry, I forgot to mention that.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 09:08:03 AM »
      How is it being reported in Disk Management ? ?
      Right clik My Computer and select manage...then disk management.
      You may want to re-boot first.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Mayhem

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 09:54:27 AM »
        I can't tell right now, it's busy analysing the drive so I can't access it now.
        Rebooting didn't help, that was one of the first things I tried. I'm fairly positive the MFT is messed up, so I'm looking for a reliable program to recover my data from the drive.

Mayhem

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 10:21:11 AM »
          I'm trying Disk Recovery Wizard, something I found here, but it's been scanning my drive for over 27 hours now and has barely reached 2% of the progress bar. Is it supposed to take this long on external hard drives (USB2) or is this program useless? The drive has a lot of activity going on, so I assume the program is doing something. But at this rate, finding the files on the drive will take weeks and recovering them might take even longer! :(
          On top of that, I'm not even sure if this program is any good. I don't know if it'll be able to recover my data...

So who can suggest a good data recovery program, in case this one turns out to be a waste of time?