Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win2k Partition Scrambled  (Read 2585 times)

Javalicious

Topic Starter

Starter

Win2k Partition Scrambled
    « on: April 09, 2008, 03:46:32 AM »
    Hello,

I have been googling and attempting all standard forms of repair for approx 2 days straight - still no luck. I think I might be getting close but I never muck with my system or it's files until those more knowlegable have said it is wise. I hope by providing everything I know for sure (as instructed ;D ) someone will be able to tell me what the next best step is.

The story is long (I apologize) but necessary because I think the solution is likely apparent to someone who knows win2k - which I am only just getting to know. I am a die-hard win98se user. I have tweaked, twisted and tuned it to suit all my needs and run like lightning on my system, and it has, beautifully I might add for quite a few years (thanx to axcel mdgx pages and other fine sites). This part of my system is still running perfectly.

It took years, but I finally relented to try a newer windows - not that I haven't seen or used any others - I have used 95, Millenium, XP Pro and Home... even messed with some Linux versions - but in the end it's always easier to fight the foe you know so 98 is where I'm comfortable. But back on point - I had the choice of XP Home or Win2K Pro and I chose Win2kpro because it's GUI reminded me of 98 and I could find my way around in it better than XP (the rest of my family are on XP machines and I always feel hobbled on 'em lol).

Anyshoes I wouldn't completely give up the tried and true, so instead I opted to learn about dual-booting and how to set it up properly. It was alright, for a few months... but 2 days ago my Win2k disintegrated, taking the entire partition with it.

My original 40GB drive (2 slices) has my 98se install on it - still working no problem.
    I added a new 160GB drive (sliced 3 ways) and put Win2k on it - WAS working no problem.
    *Win2k was added after 98se in the manner microsoft suggests, the multi-boot screen worked from the get go - all went smooth.*

It seemed stable enough the first couple weeks. I added my necessary programs slowly over time, 1 at a time - then I let it have SP4. Still seemed more or less okay. I settled down and forced myself to use it instead of 98se nearly all of the time. Just when I thought I might consider living without 98, 2K starts this spontaneous rebooting@random - rather annoying. I blamed the computer at first. It didn't happen often, nor during the same conditions so it wasn't easy to pick up on. But what I noticed was that it didn't always check for disc errors like 98 does when an unannounced shutdown occurs. Sometimes yes, most times no... Not good. But as a few days pass and all keeps behaving I forget I should be worried.

The other night - there it goes right in the middle of my merrily working along --REBOOT-- only this time not only doesn't it run chkdsk - it won't load Win2K.

This error is common I have learned:
    Windows 2000 can not start, <windows 2000 root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt.

Not worried, I have replaced files via DOS many times - I get the file, and go to replace the file - only when I get there the drive does not exist! Well not in a normal way. It now shows as -- ♥+RPVę5ө□Ė╦ -- when viewed from 98 (I named C: "old front" for win98 so my mom wouldn't get confused but I can't remember what I named the w2k drive because I'm m >:( d at the moment LOL, but anyway it wasn't just "D" so that's why all the extra characters if anyone is wondering)

98 shows the drive as having two gobbledygook folders on it but if you click on them it just says they don't exist and properties says 0 bytes.
    DOS mode calls the volume the same ---> ♥+RPVę5ө□Ė╦ <---- and shows two gobbledygook directories.

I tried, and cannot replace the ntoskrnl.exe file. I did put one there but it's just sitting on the partition with the two funky-files.

I tried, and cannot use either mode of repair/recovery from Win2k cd. I regret not making those ERD disks after setting up the system.

I have tried "fixboot" in dos with no change. I did not try fixmbr because I was afraid it would wreck my working 98 side.

I have been unable to get any copy of chkdsk to run from Win2kcd or dos or win 98.

Scandisk DOES run from 98 and does give multiple error reports - but I did not try any of it's fixes yet because I don't know if it will make things worse. Scandisks solution is to delete what it doesn't understand and it seems to me that might make things completely unrecoverable. Here are the scandisk errors exactly:

And these last two are repeating in similar fashion for all following files (different gobbledygook names for each) of which of course there are many, many more - because there OUGHT to be waaay more than two as the partition is about 20 gigs and has numerous programs installed on it!

These are all FAT32 partitions - There has not been a single BSOD - I cannot recall any other crazy behavior. I compared my boot.ini to the standard and it looks different to me but I'm not sure if it's supposed to because it's Win2k and has all that extra security stuff...? mine looks like this:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=signature(26cggbeg)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    [operating systems]
    signature(26cggbeg)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
    C:\="Microsoft Windows"

System Specs:

AMD Sempron 2600
    ECS 741GX-M
    SIS Chipset 741GX/964L
    Soundblaster Live! 24bit
    Radeon Excalibur 7000 (HiS powered by ATI) 64mb DDR
    1GB Kingston KVR400X64C3A Ram
    Maxtor Diamondmax 40GB master C: 98se (20GB) E: storage (20GB)
    Maxtor Diamondmax 160GB slave  D: Win2k (20GB) F: storage (70GB) G: storage (70GB)
    LG 4160B Super-Multi Drive master
    Dual Booting Win98SE/Win2K Pro

What is likely to happen if I let 98's scandisk fix the partition? The only thing I didn't put safely on the storage partitions were my moms emails and my documents/100's bookmarks - they are what I'm trying to save  :'(  I sure could use a bit of good news.

Thanx for reading, sorry if your eyes are bleeding!

PS - I ran a full powermax test on the hard drive yesterday and it said it was fine.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Win2k Partition Scrambled
    « Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 08:02:16 AM »
    Sounds like the 160 definitely has problems...
    Because it is relatively new it can't be assumed that it is healthy.
    If you disconnect it at the IDE cable will Win98 run properly ? ?
    Even though it is FAT32 the Win98 ver of Scandisk may not be adequate.
    You can grab the Win2K rescue disks from bootdisk.com I believe it makes 4 floppies.
    When finished making them boot to the first one and then load each other one at the prompts...then from the A: prompt type chkdsk E: /r and hit Enter...
    Let it run to completion and re-boot.

The other alternative to this method would be to DLoad and run the diagnostics from Seagate's site called SeaTools. ( Seagate recently bought Maxtor) so choose the one for Maxtors.
    Use this file to create a bootable CD/floppy and run it on the 160.

The final step if this produces no joy is if you have your data backed up would be to try the fixmbr command...However prior to this you definitely want to make certain both drives are healthy before attempting this fix.

Good Luck and let us know.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Javalicious

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 09:00:40 PM »

I tried, and cannot use either mode of repair/recovery from Win2k cd. I regret not making those ERD disks after setting up the system.

I have been unable to get any copy of chkdsk to run from Win2kcd or dos or win 98.

PS - I ran a full powermax test on the hard drive yesterday and it said it was fine.

Actually I had already tried your suggestions patio - but thank you for having a look just the same  :) I should have said the 4 floppies instead of Win2kcd, they are exactly what I used - when I typed "chkdsk E: /r" the answer came back "cannot be run in dos"...

In answer to your question
      If you disconnect it at the IDE cable will Win98 run properly ? ?
      Yes Win98 is on the 40GB drive, it runs whether or not the 160 is connected. Win2k is on the 160 (I had planned to eventually put the 40Gb&W98 back in an older pc once I had learned to get along with 2K)

Even though it is FAT32 the Win98 ver of Scandisk may not be adequate.

The final step if this produces no joy is if you have your data backed up would be to try the fixmbr command...However prior to this you definitely want to make certain both drives are healthy before attempting this fix.

Good Luck and let us know.

What if I were to install W2K on the 2nd or 3rd partition of that drive? Would it be possible to then run chkdsk on the first partition where the original W2K is? I have read that Win2K doesn't like being on partitions larger than 7.8GB, if this is true than possibly that is what happened - took it a long time though... wouldn't it have happened right after I did it instead of months later?

I am not willing to do a fixmbr if there is any risk of ruining my Win98 install - it is the most stable, cleanest, fastest, secure and reliable o/s setup in our family of 5 XP computers - and I am the lone repair person when the rest of their machines have been abused beyond function  :-\  I need at least one I can count on and Old 98 never lets me down  :-*

Honestly, if I could get some of the new software I covet to work on 98 I never would have switched to Win2k, but alas I am not a programming guru or even a pc master, I'm just a simple nerdeek who likes all manner of machinations...
      Anyone dual boot the same o/s's as I out there that could tell me if my boot.ini looks like it's supposed too?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 08:28:24 AM »
      Go ahead and post the bootini file and we'll have a look.....

The other alternative to this method would be to DLoad and run the diagnostics from Seagate's site called SeaTools. ( Seagate recently bought Maxtor) so choose the one for Maxtors.
      What about this ? ?

Javalicious

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 09:30:06 AM »
        Go ahead and post the bootini file and we'll have a look.....

What about this ? ?

I did post the boot.ini in my first post.
        Powermax is the Seatool for maxtor drives.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 10:46:57 AM »
        So the drive diagnostics have been run then ? ?
        Win98 isn't listed in the bootini of the Win2K install so i need something clarified...how was Win2K installed ? ?
        In  other words when you boot to the Win98 install with the 160 drive hooked up do you get a chioce window of which OS you want to run ? ?
        If not then the Win2K install is a standalone install and running fixmbr will not affect the Win98 install.
        To be on the safe side as i understand your concern for the smooth running Win98 install you could always run the command with the Win98 drive disconnected...