Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need to free up space on 'C', can I delete these files?  (Read 2940 times)

chad

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • Woo Woo
    Need to free up space on 'C', can I delete these files?
    « on: April 13, 2008, 06:54:17 AM »
    I need more room on my C drive, photoshop and some recent additions have taken up room on C even though I install them to D. There are a bunch of folders in my Windows folder named like this - C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB923689$ - and many more, in total up to almost a GB of space taken up... can I delete them? Are they old hanger ons from SP installs? They are full of mainly dll's.

Can I delete anything else Windows might save on my behalf? I run Window Washer and CCleaner regularly.

Any bug-free programs that forum users would recommend to free up more space apart from doing the obvious (deleting programs I don't use, window washing and CCleaning etc...) ?

cheers!

chad

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Woo Woo
      Re: Need to free up space on 'C', can I delete these files?
      « Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 07:31:43 AM »
      Sorry... forgot to mention, I'm using XP with SP2, have about 400mB free on C (7gB total) but it doesn't handle photoshop well with that much free space.

Dias de verano

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 07:59:29 AM »
      Each Windows Update creates an Uninstall folder on your system. If you are sure that you want to stick with your updates and security patches, you can remove them. You can use CCleaner for this.

chad

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      • Woo Woo
        « Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 10:10:19 PM »
        Thanks for that... CCleaner didn't get rid of them, but I manually deleted them myself. Strange, I deleted 844mB worth of old update uninstall folders, but it only gave me an extra 400mB of space...! Thats after another CClean and window wash.

Is that usual?

c

Dias de verano

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 12:14:15 AM »
        Possibly if you have your virtual memory (swap file) size set to "managed by Windows", then what could have happened is that when Windows saw the newly freed 844 MB it grabbed some for itself. You do realise that 7 Gb is ridiculously small?
        « Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 10:19:05 AM by Dias de verano »

chad

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        • Woo Woo
          « Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 12:36:18 AM »
          ouch... yes! It's personal!  :'(

No, seriously the next item on the to-fix list now the vidcard, chip and ram is so *censored* sweet, is a new HD. 40gB with only 7gig for c, I know I know...

have enough free now, shifted some non-essential programs to D, deleted those old install folders and have 1.6 gb... enough for Photoshop to fry.

cheers for your help!

c