Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer won't boot  (Read 3226 times)

ghjjf

Computer won't boot
« on: April 10, 2008, 10:18:10 PM »
What I have-
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Gigabyte GA-K8NS Motherboard
1 gig pc3200 ram (1 stick)

Ok, well I built this computer a couple years ago and I haven't had any problems out of it.. until now. I left it on, went to bed and it was working fine and when I woke up the next morning it started acting strange. First the screen froze, cursor wouldnt move or anything.. completely locked up. It rebooted itself and worked fine for like 30 minutes or so then froze again.. except this time it wouldnt boot back up at all... well the tower itself turns on and all the system fans run, cpu fans run, all the drives have power running but the monitor itself displays nothing, just the yellow standby light when normally it would turn green when the computer is turned on and no beep when the computer turns on like it normally does when I boot it up. I tried changing the stick of ram into the other open slots, didnt work either. The wierd thing is that if i turned the power on and off to the tower about 10 times the monitor would then come on display the startup screen and sometimes even fully boot into XP and work for about 10 minutes then freeze again and just not boot again. But it hasnt actually got that far in a couple days. Then, I tried clearing the CMOS and bam it booted up and i reset the bios to the default settings which of course then it has to reboot and guess what, nothing shows on the monitor again... so i thought it might have just been luck that it turned on right after i cleared the cmos so i tried doing it again and it booted fine, until it had to restart and then nothing... so i dont know what to do or whats wrong

Now i just tried to boot it up again and it worked fine, booted into XP. It lasted for about a minute until I opened the start menu and there was horizontal like lines on the text/icons in the start menu and then the cursor froze and the monitor went off and only shows the yellow standby light and the tower is still powered on.

I also forgot to mention that i reformatted aswell so its not a software problem.

Also, it seems to especially lock up when I do anything such as minimize window, scroll in a window or webpage things like that. And before it got this bad everything worked fine but when i tried to play counter strike it just froze and crashed so it seems like something to do with video card? IDK maybe ill try and put the other one in again and hope it even boots..

^I did try putting the other one back in, but it just showed black screen on monitor again with the yellow standby light..

NOT ADMIN :P

Intermediate

Re: Computer won't boot
    « Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 12:46:03 AM »
    Sounds like ur graphics card died.

also with only 1 stick you should change it and try with that

Can you get your hands on a stick of ram and another Vcard?

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer won't boot
    « Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 01:38:36 AM »
    Also sounds like the CMOS battery is due for a replacement :)
    Might want to change that first before trying anything more expensive :P

Kurtis