Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Local disc C:/ after format...plzzzzz help!!  (Read 3088 times)

Nuriko

Topic Starter

Beginner

Local disc C:/ after format...plzzzzz help!!
    « on: April 15, 2008, 04:23:22 PM »
    I just Formatted my laptop and my local disc C:/ free space is 27 GB/ 37 GB .....so the used space is 10 GB??
    I didn't put anything in it yet!!!
    I checked my local disc C:/ and it appears that there are backup files but I'm NOT sure if they are!
    how do I know which are my backup files because I'm afraid I'll delete some important files and harm my laptop>>>and then Format it ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!

In my local disc I have a file named "82fde1c3ce0ef69f727c00"
    I don't know what is it??? is it ok to delete it? it's 41 MB.

and I have 2 other files, one of them is named WINDOWS (2.47 GB) and other one named WINDOWS.0 (2.21 GB), both of them with same content!!! wich one should I delet????

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Local disc C:/ after format...plzzzzz help!!
    « Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 08:13:34 PM »
    Contact the laptop manuf.
    Even if you have a hidden partition which holds the recovery data it will not be shown on most Windows versions.
    They will be able to tell you the size of the partition and just subtract the difference from what is shown and it should add up,,,

As far as the files named Windows if you delete them you probably won't be able to use the machine.
    What do you know about file management and how are you viewing these files ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 10:09:33 PM »
    Well...Im fairly sure you didn't actually format it at all?
    Because when you install windows, it searches for already installed versions of windows (WINDOWS folder) and then if it finds one, lets you continue install, but under a different folder, in this case, WINDOWS.0!

So backup all your important documents (if not already) and follow this website on another computer if possible.
    http://www.windowsreinstall.com/ Click the version of windows you want to install along the top (dont worry about versions you can select this later :) )

Best of luck,

Kurtis

Dias de verano

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 03:43:38 PM »
    If you formatted the hard drive, how come there are files on it? or are you misusing the word "format", as many people seem to, to mean "reinstall Windows"?