Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't seem to reformat a 2nd backup drive that I installed into my pc  (Read 3329 times)

mc1csmo

Topic Starter

Rookie

I'm trying to reformat a second drive I recently added to my pc. The second drive used to be a primary drive on a previous rig. I built a new system, and decided that I'd like to backup my data and inserted the old hard drive.

It has the XP OS on it from when it was the primary HDD, and I'd like to reformat it and have it clean for just storing data.

When I go to drive E, which is the drive letter assigned to it after I inserted it into my new pc, and when I click format, it it keeps saying it can't. I keeps telling me I need to close all windows that show it's contents, but I have nothing opened. I even restarted and went right to the drive.

How come I can't do this, and how can I overcome it?

THX!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Can't seem to reformat a 2nd backup drive that I installed into my pc
    « Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 09:05:13 PM »
    How is it cabled ? ?
    It should also be jumpered as a slave drive and be on the middle connector of the ribbon cable if not by itself.
    How does it show up in Disk Management >
    You can format it from there if need be.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 10:22:05 PM »
    Also if you have to boot into safe mode to format it :)

Kurtis

sniffynose

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 03:29:33 AM »
      click start>run>
      type "compmgmt.msc"
      open + on storage
      select disc management
      click and select format

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 05:43:29 AM »
        Also, you can get bootable programs that you can put on cd to do this from the Harddrive Site Maker.  Probably the easiest to do.
        Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

mc1csmo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 02:03:47 PM »
          It's a SATA drive, so it' connected to a power source, and there's a data cable right to the motherboard, just the same as with my primary drive.

I want to insure that if I do any of the things any of you mentioned, that I don't reformat my main drive (C) which I just got all setup after a fresh XP install. The new drive, just added (E) is the ONLY one I want to format, as it has an old install of XP in it and I just want to use it as a backup for my data files, pics, etc (in case I have future issues).

I've got some knowledge, but I'm afraid my kung fu isn't very good :) Can you give details on what I should do so I only format the E drive (the new one) and not the C?

THX!

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 02:11:09 PM »
          Please Post a screenshot of your drives from the disk management window...
          Somethings awry here.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

mc1csmo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 02:48:30 PM »
            I'll post a screenie when I get home, but how do I access disc management?

Also, to be clearer, the data cable is connected directly to SATA 2, and my primary drive is SATA 1. I followed Q&A for doing this on the 2nd drive from others here and the one thing they pointed out is that if it was SATA, there might be no need for jumpers and master/slaving (which is good, as I don't really understand how to set that up).

I don't want to use a bootable CD as I REALLY don't want to wipe out my main drive (C) that I just got everything installed on (XP and all my other applications). I just want to wipe this drive clean (E) so I can use it as a back up for music, documents, pictures and since it has an XP OS on it from before, I'm worried it might cause issues.

Kid gloves please, I really need hand-holding. I've got some rudimentary knowledge, but I'm really much of a newbie here! :)

THX

mc1csmo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 07:09:00 PM »
              UPDATE: I deleted the partition via diskmanagement. Do I need to create a new partion on drive E and if so, which kind (primary, extended)? Also I was told I should on format my 2nd drive with ntfs? What's this mean and how do I do it?

mc1csmo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 08:00:51 PM »
                Ok, I got this to work, thanks!