Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My computer won't boot. . . I think  (Read 4276 times)

Kujo

My computer won't boot. . . I think
« on: January 30, 2005, 01:57:48 PM »
I recently installed a new motherboard and processor, and my computer will power on(lights and everything), but not initialize video. The debug LED on my motherboard reads "boot". I have checked every plug, retried every connection, and reset the CMOS. I have gone to various other places for help, but I cannot figure out what's wrong. My computer has no speaker for POST beeps.

I have recently switched to an older computer and now I'm starting to think that the monitor is really to blame. On some white images, I get a pink smearing effect, like a pink ghost or outline. Such as in a comic strip, the pure black on pure white text will have a pink ghost effect. This recently started happening, and I've had this monitor for 1 year with only one problem(it would always get narrow and pale, but now I've gotten used to it, it almost never fills the screen, and it's always a little pale.). It has also been giving me black distortion specks, for up to 40 minutes after I start it.

So, I am thinking: Maybe my newer computer, which I think isn't initializing video, really is, and the monitor is having problems.

Help? suggestions? I plan on borrowing a monitor from a friend and trying it on both computers.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: My computer won't boot. . . I think
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 06:22:54 PM »
Does your current monitor that you think has a problem able to work on another computer?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Kujo

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 06:44:19 PM »
I was using the monitor a month ago, everything was fine. I installed the new parts, the computer didn't seem to work. I am using the same monitor now, but on an older computer. I am currently having issues with it, but continue to use it.

Kujo

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 06:45:49 PM »
and if you mean a 3rd computer, then no, I haven't tried a 3rd monitor. Sometime in the near future I plan on trying a different monitor on both computers as well as the current monitor on a different computer.

Kujo

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 01:16:39 PM »
In addition to those problems, the monitor occasionally switches on and off constantly(with the POING sound, as if someone were turning it on and off) but only during start up.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 03:47:05 PM »
If monitor is starting to go bad, it's hard to tell if computer is working or not.  That monitor noise is normal.   It should "click" once at the POST and maybe 1 or 2 other times during the boot.  The noise is video mode switching.  Age of monitor means little, anymore.  They can last a day, a week, a month, a year or 20 years.  I've got a 12-year old monitor...works perfectly.  I've got a 4-year old monitor...headed to the trash.  Brand new 17" monitors are less than $100.

Kujo

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 06:46:46 PM »
Well first: I don't exactly have $100 lying around

Second, this was a $250 19" flat-glass CRT, which I wouldn't exactly expect to be dead after 13 months.

And I don't mean it just makes noise during boot, it turns on and off, like every second until I get into windows.