Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wierd USB port... I think  (Read 1891 times)

boredbody

Topic Starter

Rookie

Wierd USB port... I think
    « on: April 17, 2008, 08:53:50 PM »
    Hello again, usb seems to be the source of all my troubles in life ::)

I was given an old desktop computer  my intention was just to play around with it I didn't expect it to work but amazingly it does - it's an unknown model of Inteva which I already learned went belly up around 2000, I think the computer was purchased around 1999 so there isn't very much info available. The motherboard I tracked down as a Biostar M6TLI, it's running windows 98, 128mb of Ram, 12GB hard drive, pentium 2 processor.

At first I thought it didn't have USB connectors, but I opened it up because there are 2 ports on the back clearly labled "USB" and I couldn't see anything connecting them to the motherboard, on closer inspection I found each one has a thick white plug with a cord running strait to the motherboard... so I thought I'd hook that computer up to the net and see about doing a few things to it but when I went to plug in the USB plug I was amazed that the ports were too small! Being a bit dimm in the room I thought I was wrong and tried to force one, there was a little spark and I quickly gave up - so what are these ports if not USB ports?

How do I/can I install a card to get USB ports on this computer?

NOT ADMIN :P

Intermediate

Re: Wierd USB port... I think
      « Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 12:29:42 AM »
      what is your mouse and keyboard plugged into???

You can get adapters for PCI*? input to USB (green and purple inputs to usb)

Then from a usb port you can buy a USB HUB /Dock for many USB ports

From there you can daisy chain your daisy chains until you computer shorts your houses power :D

You werent forcing them in upside down were you? :P

boredbody

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Wierd USB port... I think
        « Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 05:04:30 AM »
        what is your mouse and keyboard plugged into???

You can get adapters for PCI*? input to USB (green and purple inputs to usb)

Then from a usb port you can buy a USB HUB /Dock for many USB ports

From there you can daisy chain your daisy chains until you computer shorts your houses power :D

You werent forcing them in upside down were you? :P

Haha. Turns out I was putting the plug in rightside up, which is upside down for this computer! Is that normal?