Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: State of Virginia to Require Internet Safety Classes in Public Schools  (Read 3614 times)

Broni

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
HERE

Concerned about the general increase in online crime, cyber-bullying, and sex offenders preying on underaged children, the state of Virginia has become the first to mandate that public schools offer Internet safety classes to all grade levels.

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, distributor of NetSmartz resources to enhance the online safety of children, cites a report that showed 1 in 25 children received an aggressive solicitation from a predator to meet offline. Social networking sites, email, and in particular chatrooms and instant messaging have all been used by those with evil intent to introduce themselves to children, and to groom them for later attacks.

You can never know if an online contact from a “15 year old girl, social and friendly, wanting to meet new people” is indeed from a 15 year old girl, from a 40 year old online predator with a long history of *censored* offences behind them, or from an FBI agent trying to track someone down. Parents want their children to be prepared for a safe and productive online life in the same way that they want their children to be safe offline, and to this end there is much that parents - in partnership with schools, after-school clubs and the local community - can do. It is perhaps inevitable that given the role of the Internet in our everyday life, programs similar to this one will be increasingly rolled out across the United States; until they are, we recommend parents review the NetSmartz resources for parents and guardians, and initiate an age-appropriate discussion with their children, linking online behaviors with what they’re being told to do offline.

Of course, we don’t advocate letting young children on the Internet at all, let alone unsupervised.

On the other hand, educating children on safe Internet usage at an early age makes it less likely they’ll be taken in by phishing, 419s or other Internet scams and frauds when they’re adults.

Well, we can all hope so, can’t we?

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
My only concern is that there's only so much time in a school day, and this takes time away from...what?  I don't think kids are being grounded well enough in the basics as it is. 

For example, I helped my nephew with his 8th grade math homework.  We'd both work the same problems and compare notes.  I actually did most of the problems faster (and I don't think I'm that good at math) because I knew 7 times 9 equals 63, and I didn't have to punch buttons on a calculator all the time.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Once again Parental responsibilities are being taken up by the Public School system.
A sad reflection on how bad a job some Parents are doing.

My 7 year old niece knows more about online activities and threats including malware than her Parents do...because she's teaching them...only because i took the time to teach her.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
Good on you, old son!

It's a combination of a lot of things.  A lot of it is lazy parenting.  My stepson has seen movies I won't even watch (slasher stuff) because part of him thinks they're cool, but his father doesn't stop him.  He's played video games I won't even look at for the same reason.  (I've enough garbage in my head from games and things I have seen.)  Oh, my stepson is eight -- he was allowed thses things at six and younger.

Part of it is stress -- but it's not good enough (according to our skewed "family values" society to be "just" a parent, anymore.  There's your career, and then there's managing your career and networking  ::) and then of course, you have to have your dreams, because those can't be put on hold, and the kids have to be in everything so who has time?

I'm painting in broad, general strokes, here.  The cmputer stuff can be done, and done fairly easily, and Patio (who knows everything) certainly has the right approach.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"