Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Fresh start  (Read 2282 times)

Munn

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Fresh start
    « on: April 15, 2008, 06:02:09 PM »
    First off all I just want to thank everyone in advance since I have gotten help here before on some pretty big computer issues before..
    Well this time I am thinking of formatting and starting fresh since it has been three years and there are still some issues with my system. Although I have formatted many times before, the last time I did everything ran slow and I ended up running the recovery disk that came with the computer initially to have everything installed for me. This worked somewhat last time but I have upgraded my computer with a new sound card and a new video card since so I would imagine the recovery disk would install the wrong things.
    How should I go about reinstalling everything? Should I reset my BIOS after the format or just leave it be?
    (Using Windows XP Home SP2)
    Computer Specs
    AMD Athlon 64 3700+
    2GB RAM
    ASUS EAX X1600XT Silent
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2

P.S. The other problem is that I am not sure if I have drivers for everything and I am not sure if I will be able to find them. Is there some program or website that would be able to scan to see what hardware I have installed?

Thanks

Deerpark

Egghead
      Re: Fresh start
      « Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 09:25:05 AM »
      How should I go about reinstalling everything? Should I reset my BIOS after the format or just leave it be?
      Don't touch your BIOS settings. The BIOS is not affected by the operating system so there no need to reset it just because you're doing a OS reinstall.
      Apart from that I don't really know what else to tell you. Install Windows, then your drivers and your software.

P.S. The other problem is that I am not sure if I have drivers for everything and I am not sure if I will be able to find them. Is there some program or website that would be able to scan to see what hardware I have installed?
      Try Everest Home Edition or Belarc Advisor.
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

mcxeb52!

Re: Fresh start
      « Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 10:37:23 AM »
      Try Everest Home Edition or Belarc Advisor.
      [/quote]

Or CPU-Z. CPU-Z is more basic than Everest but I think it should give you enough information about your major hardware.