Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New DVD-RW drive malfunction  (Read 2849 times)

RAE7

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    New DVD-RW drive malfunction
    « on: April 19, 2008, 09:52:28 AM »
    I've recently purchased an off-lease Dell GX270 tower, 3000 MHz, 1000 MB RAM, running Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 2.  Everything seemed to be working fine until I purchased an LG external DVD-RW drive, specifically the GSA-E40L.  When I put a cd into the drive the motor raced really fast and sounded like it was going to take flight.  It started right after the drive read the cd and sometimes stopped after a couple of minutes, or rarely didn't do it at all.  This whirring noise wasn't consistent with what I was doing at the time (starts before I began ripping songs into my computer and sometimes stops before I'm finished).  It usually didn't stop racing until I ejected the cd.  Anyway, I had seller send me a replacement drive and it is doing the same thing.  I've tried it in 3 different 2.0 usb ports (including front) with same results.  I also have other hardware plugged into this computer's ports with no problems, including ipod, cordless keyboard/mouse, Seagate external drive, etc.  I don't have access to another computer with 2.0 ports to test the drive in.  Sorry for writing a novel, but any suggestions?

Deerpark

Egghead
      Re: New DVD-RW drive malfunction
      « Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 10:04:40 AM »
      Many disc drives spin a disc up to full speed when first inserted and if the drive is noisy this might be pretty loud. Usually the drive will spin the disc down again after a few minutes but if the disc is being accessed it may continue.
      So I'm thinking the model you've bought is just extremely noisy. Maybe you can get it exchanged to different model?
      If not try DriveSpeed from Nero. You can use this software to limit the read speed of the disc drive and hopefully reduce the noise it generates.
      http://www.cdspeed2000.com/download.html
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

kedynscrow

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 10:12:17 AM »
        I think I might have this same problem. What happens when you try to just play a cd from the drive without ripping the songs?

Deerpark

Egghead
          « Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 10:17:27 AM »
          You may also want to look into available firmware updates from LG btw. If the noise issue is common for this model it is not unlikely that LG have issued a firmware update to address this. Just beware, using the wrong firmware or doing the upgrade incorrectly can turn your drive into a paper weight. And make sure you know exactly what a firmware update is going to do before you apply it. There is little point in updating if the update doesn't address the noise issue.

RAE7

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
            « Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 10:26:35 AM »
            Deerpark, I think I love you.  Kedynscrow, it starts up right after the drive reads the cd, before I start playing, ripping, or anything.  It's even hard to hear music over it.  I've wanted to duck and run for cover a couple of times...

Deerpark

Egghead
              « Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 10:40:11 AM »
              Deerpark, I think I love you.
              Well thank you very much. :)
              Let us know what you end up doing about the drive.

RAE7

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
                « Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 11:00:24 AM »
                Thanks.  LG insists it's not supposed to be making this noise but I don't know...I wouldn't mind it so much if I knew it was supposed to be doing this.

Deerpark

Egghead
                  « Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 01:30:35 PM »
                  Well it is theoretically possible you've simply gotten two bad drives in a row so maybe you should try for a 3rd. (I am more inclined to think it is simply a noisy model though.) Although you say you don't have access to another computer with USB 2 ports it would be great if you somehow could rule out your computer as a possible culprit. Are you sure you can't find another computer to test it on?

RAE7

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
                    « Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 02:14:38 PM »
                    I'm quite sure, with one possible exception and I'm working on that one.  Moving away from the city has it's benefits, but living an hour away from friends with 2.0 ports isn't one of them.

elxr06

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 09:32:43 PM »
                    hey just wondering ...... does the drives you buy from that seller come with any of those warranty things? if it does then just send back to LG for a look.... just an idea

RAE7

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
                      « Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 07:51:53 AM »
                      Yes, and I've spoken to LG about it.  They've been really great and didn't hesitate to offer to replace it, it's just that after waiting through researching and purchasing the right computer, and then going through the same exhaustive process for a dvd-rw drive and waiting for it's replacement, I'm about a quart low on patience.  At some point I'd like to get back to ripping/burning before I'm too old to appreciate it. 

patio

• Genius
                      • Maud' Dib
                        • Yes
                      • Experience: Beginner
                      « Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 10:16:02 AM »
                      Have you considered an internal burner ? ?
                      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "