Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Please Help ext HDD & in exam thursday::((  (Read 2077 times)

lina2008

Topic Starter

Please Help ext HDD & in exam thursday::((
    « on: April 19, 2008, 11:54:34 AM »
    Hello - i could really, really do with some help or advice, i have all my college work backed up on an external Iomega 360 HDD. Everything was fine yesterday but today when i went to open some old drawn gs, everything is missing.

I use the external hard drive to save old files 46gig as my computer is only 30gig.

I'm devastated especially as I'm in a practical exam and need all my historic drawings and photos -let alone all my personal stuff. And to put salt on to the wound my eldest who is an apprentice has been saving his college work and on site photos to the HDD also and he is in exams soon too - oh my goodness:(

Can anyone please help me retrieve these files. They are not showing but the usage on the hard drive shows usage so they must be there somewhere - heeellllppp

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Please Help ext HDD & in exam thursday::((
    « Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 04:55:14 PM »
    Welcome to the CH forums.

You better start by reading this..

And remember we cannot see your pc, don't even know if it's a laptop/notebook/desktop, so give as many details as you can think of.
    One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

lina2008

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 06:07:37 PM »
      Hello Dusty and Thank you for your reply, Ive read through the this page, just now, i have also been searching it all day on the net. Ive in stalled the PC inspector and nothing came through, except some jpeg. Also had a go with freeundelete and undelete. the first one will not install or open and the second is just restore (very old files) with names that do not make any sense -so i have tried honestly - just viewed a post I'm reading after this mail.

Hardware - Fujitsu, Siemens hard drive and monitor 30g, with a graphics card, Ive had it from new, 2000
      External hard drive IOmega HDD 320g USB plus an electrical transformer

Operating system -windows millennium. I use AVG free addition for my emails etc.

History last time i opened the external hard drive was yesterday and it was fine, only store about 48g on it but its everything that is large and important, i have the majority of work backed up on CD and floppies but the recent drawins (cad) word documents and college pdf files have disappeared. Thing is alto of the cad drawings i need for my practical exam on Thursday this week, i can re do them and i have to re sketch them by had for the written exam but wiring diagrams are my notes and revision - can you see how panicy i am --eek My eldest told me that he had also stored his apprenticeship course work on the drive, all his site photos and a couple of word documents etc....OMG

Anyway, sorry about that - i think the drive became disconnected as the error came up something like  usb stopped you may loose data. I have tried it on another PC and still cannot read them

Current situation- I go to my computer and on the iomega it shows used 46gb  and freespace 251gb when i open it up, select all then properties it says 60 files, 3 folders, 141mb so this makes me think my files and folders are still there somewhere

Any help or advice really appreciated
      Lina

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 09:43:12 PM »
      i think the drive became disconnected as the error came up something like  usb stopped you may loose data.

That's about as bad as it gets with usb mass storage devices, they don't appreciate being disconnected when the system is accessing them.

My immediate thought is that the MFT is incomplete for the files you say are lost and a file recovery program is necessary.  However someone with greater knowledge of the problem than I have is sure to be along shortly to advise you.

Do any of the files you are looking for appear in a file listing either in Explorer or a Command Prompt DIR listing?

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.