Software > Computer viruses and spyware

Need to get rid of the Malware again (Outerinfo, Internet speed monitor, etc)

<< < (6/23) > >>

green tea:
Ok, did everything including Secunia.

I need to update my Adobe programs, Quicktime, Itunes, Java, Adobeflash, etc.

Now back to the basics in the Sticky thread.. which of these 3 is the most effective/user-friendly? I'm worried about running into problems after installing these..

Avast! Home Edition
AVG Free Edition
AntiVir Personal

Should I uninstall Norton 2003 first? or d/l this and then uninstall?

mcxeb52!:
Avast and AVG are fine but AntiVir has this short term expiration thing which makes me think it's actually a trial....

But for Avast and AVG, it just depends on whichever program's interface and controls you like better. But in terms of updating and effective, they both update every day at minimum and both are always sending out program updates as it comes.

green tea:
FRICKING A... Bad News
I was watching a movie this morning, and then my computer got hit with a bunch of malware again.. Winpatrol's Scotty was detecting a bunch of stuff and I kept clicking "NO" when it asked if I wanted to these programs to the startup setting. Then I check my start menu and Outerinfo and Internet Speed Monitor reinstalled themselves on my pc, along with a bunch of other stuff.

I did CCleaner, and then did the Add/Remove to get rid of Outerinfo, ISM, a lot of other things which I can't recall right now. But there's still one called "Command" in the program list. It doesn't have any info to it, no file size or date.

I just ran SuperAntispyware in Safe mode, and rebooted. But now when I try to retrieve the log by doubleclicking on it, the "OPEN WITH" window pops up and ask me which program I want to select to open SAS with ???

Evilfantasy, please help again...

Uh oh, I tried double clicking other programs (CCleaner, Notepad, etc) and it all leads to the "Open With" window appearing again. What happened??

green tea:
Crap, just tried to check the Add/Remove list to see if anything else is there BUT I can't open it.

It says C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
Application not found

Everything was still operational when I was doing the SAS scan.. and it that found 69 infected items. I had it quarantined and remove, and then was prompted to reboot.  :'(

Also, when this first happened at 10 this morning, I tried to revert to the system restore I created earlier this week. But it only showed today's system restore point (4/26/08 - 10:00 am).. so would it help if I can get back to the System Restore point on 4/22 or 4/23 even though it's not showing up? Or did the malware override the point I created?

evilfantasy:
Do you have an XP CD?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below:[*]Click on Start > Run and type sfc /scannow then press Enter (note the space between scf and /scannow)[*]Let this run undisturbed until the window with the blue  progress bar goes away[/list] [/list]SFC - Which stands for System File Checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right-click My Computer and click on Manage.
In the new window that appears, expand the Event Viewer (by clicking on the + symbol next to it) and then click on System.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version