Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Transferring email accounts from XP/Outlook to Vista laptop/Windows Mail  (Read 7262 times)

endl

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Hello

I have a lot of email addresses and need to export them from an XP into a Vista laptop as well as work with them on an ongoing basis. I've tried using the import/export wizards to no help. It just says "cannot be imported from the MAPI client".

The XP is using Outlook, the Vista laptop is using Outlook Express.

I'm using a USB "Tornado" file transfer tool to connect the two machines.

Thank you for any help.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 10:11:50 AM by endl »

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    ... the Vista laptop is using Outlook Express.
    Vista does not have Outlook Express.  Please clarify what email client you are using with Vista.

endl

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Oops. Windows Mail I mean. 6.0.6000.16386

Thanks.

soybean

Genius
      What is the file extension on the file you "exported" from Outlook? 

endl

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

This last try was .csv

soybean

Genius
        Well, you should be able to import a .csv file into Windows Mail.  Here's a reference on exporting from OE: http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/3698

It just says "cannot be imported from the MAPI client".
        This comment seems to indicate you were trying to import some file other than a .csv file.  Are you sure you correctly navigated to the .csv file when trying to import into Windows Mail?

I'm using a USB "Tornado" file transfer tool to connect the two machines.
        What is a "USB 'Tornado' file transfer tool"?

endl

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

It doesn't even try to look for anything, no navigation attempt whatsoever, it just instantly gives that message.

The Tornado file transfer thing is a USB device that plugs into a USB port of each computer and allows file transfer.

soybean

Genius
          It doesn't even try to look for anything, no navigation attempt whatsoever, it just instantly gives that message.
          Sounds like it's not really locating the .csv file then.  Seems like the problem may be the Tornado file transfer thing, not Outlook or Windows Mail.  Do you have a flash drive?  If so, use that instead of the The Tornado file transfer thingy.   :D

endl

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

The Tornado thing is the only thing I have right now but I transferred the csv directly to the Vista hard drive.

soybean

Genius
            OK, then you should be able to navigate to that file when executing an import into Windows Mail.  Can you do that?

endl

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

When I go to File>Import It gives me 3 choices...

Windows Contacts
              News Account Settings

The Messages option give me 4 more options...

Microsoft Exchange
              Microsoft Outlook
              Microsoft Outlook Express 6
              Microsoft Windows Mail

The Microsoft Outlook option just gives an instant error message about "cannot be imported from the MAPI client"

The Windows Mail 7 option brings up a Browse files dialog box but it looks for a folder only. I have the csv file on the desktop but it does not see it.

Otherwise I go to Tools>Accounts>Import but it looks for .iaf files only.

soybean

Genius
              The Messages option give me 4 more options...

Microsoft Exchange
              Microsoft Outlook
              Microsoft Outlook Express 6
              Microsoft Windows Mail

The Microsoft Outlook option just gives an instant error message about "cannot be imported from the MAPI client"

The Windows Mail 7 option brings up a Browse files dialog box but it looks for a folder only. I have the csv file on the desktop but it does not see it.
              So, the Microsoft Outlook option and Windows Mail 7 option fall under The Messages option, right?  You're talking messages here, not email accounts, which is the subject/title of this discussion.  So, let's clarify the objective here.  Let's focus on one thing at a time, and let's start with importing of email accounts, since that's the topic. 

Have you exported your email accounts from OE?  To do that, go to Tools, Accounts, Mail, select the account, and click on the Export button.  This exports your account to a .iaf file, which you then need to import into Windows Mail.   

endl

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Let me clarify. I am trying to import mail settings from Outlook, not Outlook Express. Sorry about the confusion, and yes, you are correct, I am only interested in the settings at this point.

Outlook does not seem to have any way to export settings like OE does. Import, yes, but not export other than an option named "Export to a file" which is how I got the .csv I've been talking about. No .iaf file options to be had as far as I can tell.

soybean

Genius
                Oops, I got on the wrong track there.  You mentioned .iaf is a previous post and that got me to thinking about OE instead of Outlook.

Unfortunately, there's no way to backup email accounts in Outlook, as far as i know, without resorting to some third-party software such as Outlook Backup.  Apparently, a demo version Outlook Backup, can be downloaded and used with limited functionality.  But, the limitations listed on the site do not include email accounts; IOW, the demo version apparently will backup email accounts, and then, I assume, you could import into Windows Mail.  However, it's not clear to me whether the file format created by Outlook Backup is a format that can be imported into Windows Mail; I haven't actually used this product.

Here's something else that came up in a Google search: Outlook 2003 Accounts File.

endl

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Thanks soybean you've been a big, big help. At least now I know what's going on and have a handle on my options.

It does look like Outlook Backup will work, though I'm disappointed in Microsoft for setting things up like that  >:(  !

Thanks again.