Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hp Evo Laptop headphone jack fault. No internal speaker sound Help!  (Read 4055 times)

steve151

Topic Starter

Starter

hi,

i have a HP  Evo n610c laptop,   while i had the headphones plugged in i accidentally dropped the laptop..  To my utter total disappointment this left me with no sound in the headphones and in the internal speakers.. decided to take the laptop apart and found that the headphone jack has been ripped right of the main board...     like i say i have no sound through the normal internal speakers... does the laptop think it still has headphones pluged in?  Is there anyway i can disable it?,   its a shame to think that little headphone jack can destroy all the sound on my laptop.  Or do you think i can bypass the head phone socket with a new wire on the main board.. the only problem is it has quite a few solder  points where the socket originally snapped off..... Please help.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Hp Evo Laptop headphone jack fault. No internal speaker sound Help!
      « Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 08:21:03 AM »
      There may be more extensive damage than just the headphone jack.  Is it still under warranty?

As far as soldering on a laptop mb, it's dicey at best. 

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

steve151

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 08:27:12 AM »
        No not under warranty...    its older but recently updated..     have done a little research and if i was to take it to a repair shop it seems like they would advise me to buy  a new MB.   Just whish they had put them little accident prone sockets an a smaller sister board.

steve151

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 08:30:43 AM »
          For got to ask earlier... if i was to plug in a USB speaker would i still have this problm

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
            « Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 08:31:20 AM »
            Yes, that is what a shop would do as I worked for Circuit City as a bench tech some years ago and that is what would be recommended.

Wish I had better news for you  :-[

I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
              « Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 08:32:05 AM »
              Most likely yes because the system will still look to that hardware to run the sound.

quaxo

Guru
                • Yes
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Guru
              « Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 08:32:51 PM »
              You might check around and see if there is a qualified professional who can solder the jack back on. Not sure this will fix the problem and you do so at your own risk.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
                « Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 08:51:58 PM »
                I had a friend who took her laptop to an "expert" and they jacked it up worse than before.  Heed quaxo's warning  :o