Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer crashes on boot  (Read 3479 times)

changsta-dan

Topic Starter

Starter

Computer crashes on boot
    « on: April 22, 2008, 11:42:44 AM »
    Well i have a problem with my PC when i turn it on the bios screen comes up but then my computer just freezes, I dont know why this has started happening because i have not changed any settings or installed any new hardware in a while ... so any help would be appreciated.

Lastly im running a HP Pavillion desktop pc with

Intel Quad Core 2.4 ghz processor
    3 GB Ram
    and windows vista home premium

just incase anyone needed to know that stuff?

Thanks for any help in advanced and i have tried thing like going in to safe mode but i aint even able to do that if it crashes on the bios screen

Im hoping not to have to have to use recovery discs cause waste of time but if thats the only choice then ill use them

Deerpark

Egghead
      Re: Computer crashes on boot
      « Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 11:57:58 AM »
      Where exactly is it crashing?
      What is the last thing printed on the screen before the crash?
      Do you get as far as the Vista loading screen?
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

changsta-dan

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 12:00:48 PM »
        It is crashing exactly on the bios screen ... where it has the manufacturers name and at the bottom is has push f11 for system recovery , im guessing that is the bios and i do Not get to the vista loading screen ... also i have tried pushing the key when the screen comes up and tapping it lightly before it reaches this screen but it just hangs on the bios

marco

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 02:36:50 PM »
          Do you get any distinct beep codes when you start the computer?  Not just a typical one beep, but like a couple or more?  Also, what kind of HD are you using?  I'm asking because your computer seems pretty new, so I'm assuming it's going to be a SATA.  You might be experiencing the same problem I had with mine.  I had Vista installed on a brand new Intel system with a Seagate SATA HD.  One day I turned it on and it just crashed.  It wouldn't get to the loading screen as you said.  I don't know if it was a problem with HD or Vista.  Though I did manage to start over and load XP on it, so I don't think it was the HD, but who knows.

marco

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 02:44:30 PM »
            If you happen to have a Live CD of an OS such as Ubuntu, or any Linux or other OS, try loading that up on startup and see if that works.  If don't you can download one easily off the internet, I just hope you have access to another computer. 

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 03:12:14 PM »
            Power down and unplug the machine...
            Remove a side panel and remove the CMOS battery for 5 minutes...
            While it's out and unplugged push the main power button a few times to dissipate any stored energy.
            Replace the CMOS battery; plug in and power up...
            Does this change anyhing ? ?

" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

changsta-dan

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 09:20:13 AM »
              Do you get any distinct beep codes when you start the computer?  Not just a typical one beep, but like a couple or more?  Also, what kind of HD are you using?  I'm asking because your computer seems pretty new, so I'm assuming it's going to be a SATA.  You might be experiencing the same problem I had with mine.  I had Vista installed on a brand new Intel system with a Seagate SATA HD.  One day I turned it on and it just crashed.  It wouldn't get to the loading screen as you said.  I don't know if it was a problem with HD or Vista.  Though I did manage to start over and load XP on it, so I don't think it was the HD, but who knows.

No there is no beeps on start up and yes it does have a SATA hardrive and your problem sounds similar too the one im having now, also to patio thanks for the advice but i don't fancy taking the cover off and messing around with the insides of the computer ill just use the warranty i got with it

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 06:02:54 PM »
              Gotcha...always best to go that route as most times even opening the case up can Void a warranty...
              Best of Luck to you.
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "