Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP SP2 partial boot  (Read 3218 times)

Optiker

XP SP2 partial boot
« on: February 01, 2005, 03:13:40 PM »
A couple of months ago, XP started failing to boot completely. It would get nearly complete as judged by the system tray, desktop loaded, some launch-at-boot items launched and running, etc. but, it would not quite finish. The result is that things just don't work, but perhaps the most descriptive symptom is that I can't Ctrl-Alt-Del to check running apps and proicesses, or even shutdown. I have to power off to shutdown, then reboot. Sometimes it does this two or three times in a row, then boots fine. It went for a week or more at one point without doing it, then suddenly started again. I haven't been able to associate it with anything consistent, other than the possibility that it might be associated with either Dell's iunsistence to alert for updates, or Windows insistence on the same, or the Office Shortcut Bar (sorry...just am too accusomed to using it to abandon it for Quick Launch).

I have run a virus check with the most recent version of AVG with the most current definitions, run a spyware check with the most recent version of AdAware and the most recent defs, with no hits on either. I run Zone Alarm Free and have the XP firewall turned off.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Optiker

Dr Wahab

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Re: XP SP2 partial boot
    « Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 03:27:05 PM »
    Have you install any new hardware? If yes then may be this problem is because of that hardware,so check the compatability of that hardware.
    Another thing is that may be your have a software whose requirement is high then currently you have on your PC.
    Another thing is that goto start > Run and type "msconfig" and press enter. Now click the last tab which is "Startup" tab and uncheck all those softwares or files which were installed by yourself. And leave those checked whcih are necessary for booting the system with CARE. After this press ok. It will ask you to restart your PC. So press yes to restart your PC. After booting, I hope that your problem will be solved.

Take care of you and other snad be happy.
    Bye...:)
    Dur-E-Wahab
    do take care of you and others

Optiker

Re: XP SP2 partial boot
    « Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 04:13:31 PM »
    Dur...no new hardware, no overly demanding software. This is a Dell, less than a year old, with pretty good specs.  3 MHz Pentium, 1 GB RAM, 128 MB nVidia. I don't have any software new enough to push that performance.

Thanks for the suggestion. If I don't get anybody who recognizes the symptoms and can give me a higher probability solution, I'll try clearing the start apps and see if it helps. There aren't many other than AVG and Zone Alarm, but worth trying if no other solutions.

Optiker