Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: dvd flick to shrink -> can't play dvd  (Read 3141 times)

stinkfoot70

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

dvd flick to shrink -> can't play dvd
    « on: April 21, 2008, 10:54:43 AM »
    I've re-authored many dvds with dvd shrink connecting to nero 7 and they've all played in my entertainment center dvd player (samsung dvd-5500).

This weekend I tried dvd flick for the first time and then re-authored the converted files in dvd shrink. the resulting dvds played in my computer dvd drive through PowerDVD, but not in my stand alone dvd player (the samsung). I got this error message upon inserting the dvd:

This disc cannot be played.
    Please check the TV system.

Any suggestions?

thanks,
    core

NOT ADMIN :P

Intermediate

Re: dvd flick to shrink -> can't play dvd
      « Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 12:23:04 AM »
      this message occurs when you burn a dvd to the wrong format (IE: PAL or NTCS)
      Depending where you are from you will need to burn to ntsc if America or PAL, like me, if you are from Australia.

Also make sure your dvd's are DVD-R or DVD+R and they are compatible with your dvd player

The computer drive will probably support most formats where as your stand alone (samsung player) may not.

Make sure your dvds are compatible and try burning it again making sure you select the correct NTSC or PAL where applicable to you.

Hope it works!

stinkfoot70

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 07:47:48 AM »
        thanks! I won't get to trying to re-convert until the weekend. i did check dvd flick's project settings and it appears that the default setting is PAL (and i'm in N. America), so it seems like the puzzle's solved.

dvd flick had 2 other options. ntsc and ntsc-film. do you know the difference?

thanks again,
        core

NOT ADMIN :P

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 10:22:11 PM »
          Ntsc film may be your movie screen ratio

(eg. 6:9)

the ntsc ratio is more like 4:3

A squarer image

So if the film is a movie i would suggest converting to the ntsc film otherwise all the people will be squished up and fat :P

stinkfoot70

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 09:06:28 AM »
            thanks!