Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Freezing  (Read 1940 times)

littlepaul1809

Computer Freezing
« on: April 26, 2008, 02:39:22 AM »
Hi,

I have a bit of a problem and I need some help with it.

My computer keeps freezing when up and running. I could be doing anything from being on the internet to playing a game and it'll just cease up. Both screens appear to be doing nothing, yet you can move the mouse over the windows that are open and some show an hourglass where others do not.

Even internet activity (as can be seen by my router) grinds to a halt and it's impossible to download any large files without them being corrupted due to the computer's freezing. Even in writing this post I've had two freezes. Make that three now.

They tend to last anything between five seconds and a minute and a half, with an occaisional blip of activity in the middle whereby a few windows will display the (Not Responding) bit in their titlebar. When the freezing stops, everything seems to return to normal. It does not however catch up in terms of if I type something when the computer has frozen.

To be honest, I'm not sure if it's software or hardware that's causing this problem. It started happening yesterday when I got home at 12:10GMT having left the computer to do some P2P Downloads from BBC iplayer. When I arrived home, the PC had frozen and wasn't moving and it took me half an hour to get it to shut down through start>run>turn off etc.

I've recently installed a Creative X-Fi Soundcard the night before that and get the distinct feeling that may be the cause of the problems but I can't figure out why. I have included a copy of my dxdiag.txt to detail all the information in regards to my PC. Here's the core details anywho:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
       System Model: System name
               BIOS: Phoenix - Award BIOS v6.00PG
          Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 FX-55 Processor,  MMX,  3DNow, ~2.6GHz
             Memory: 2304MB RAM
          Page File: 681MB used, 3002MB available

Hard drive space on my computer shouldn't be a problem, I have 172GB Free out of 465GB. I've used tools such as Hot CPU Tester Pro to test the CPU and a utility from Western Digital to test the hard drive and both have come back showing no problems.

I can't seem to think what else could be causing this, it's making this computer incredibly annoying to use and incredibly frustrating having to wait for it to overcome the freezes. If anyone has any questions or perhaps even some solutions to this, I'd truly appreciate it.

[recovering space - attachment deleted by admin]

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Computer Freezing
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 08:59:30 AM »
How is your computer doing in Safe Mode?