Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Best gaming computer?  (Read 8267 times)

srtony1946

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Best gaming computer?
    « on: April 26, 2008, 12:29:41 AM »
    I am in the market for a new gaming computer, My budget Is $1500.00 dollars. I was leaning toward a Dell XPS 630. ( I know some people will poke fun at the dells) But I like them. Any recommendations? I play alot of Call Of Duty 4, And would like to try crisis, Thanks.
    « Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 12:44:23 AM by srtony1946 »

SilentAssasin64

Apprentice

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Best gaming computer?
    « Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 01:05:49 AM »
    If you feel comfortable doing so, build your own.  You can get a lot better equipment for the money than buying one from a manufacturer.
    Back In The Game

homer

Expert
      « Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 02:37:35 AM »
      i second building your own for the following reasons...

1. its cheaper
      2. its easier to upgrade
      3. you get to customize every aspect of your computer
      4. you dont void your warranty by opening it (only applicable with some manufacturers)

i would only suggest buying a prebuilt if you are not comfortable with assembling your own computer. if you are comfortable, just let us know and we can give you a components list that will suit your needs and budget.

srtony1946

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 11:31:37 AM »
        I have a friend that can build me a computer but he Is not comfortable with the duel graphic cards. I guess I donot need the duel, Anyway, yea can you guys help me with one. And what do you all think about the Dell Xps 630?

homer

Expert
          « Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 12:05:40 PM »
          but he Is not comfortable with the duel graphic cards. I guess I donot need the duel,

you dont need SLI, you can have a killer gaming rig without it.

what do you all think about the Dell Xps 630?

i think its garbage. the video card sucks and they dont tell you the motherboard and the PSU make/model, so im guessing they are Dell manufactured pieces of junk. the only thing really good about it is that everything (keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, etc.) is in a nice convenient package.

one last question, do you need all the other peripherals including the keyboard, mouse, operating system, speakers, and a monitor? this will have a large impact on your budget, and it would be good to know before giving you a components list.

quaxo

Guru
            • Yes
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 12:54:37 PM »
          Definitely go custom built for gaming.

Aside from Alienware, I've not seen a single company that offers a decent gaming pre-built. However, for a good gaming rig from Alienware, you're looking at $2000+. The ALX CrossfireX model (which is built specifically with gaming in mind, their highest model) starts at $5,149 ($9,854 with full options including a 30" monitor **drool**).

srtony1946

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 01:14:16 PM »
            Hey Homer, No I Donot need a monitor, Keyboard, Or speakers. I use my stereo speakers with a plug that runs from my receiver to computer. I bought plug cord at radio shack. Ok, I want to do this build. So can you help, I  know I will need at least a 750 power supply, I want the best graphic card I can afford with budget. I guess I could use my Dell case, But than I kinda want a clear one..They are cheap. Should I buy parts on line? And Operating system? I like XP over vista but some say to upgrade to It.
            « Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 01:29:24 PM by srtony1946 »

homer

Expert
              « Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 02:24:22 PM »
              ok heres a components list with a budget of $1500

***ALL PRICES RETRIEVED FROM WWW.NCIX.COM***

Motherboard: EVGA 780i SLI link
              CPU: Intel E8400 link
              Graphics card: 9800GTX link
              RAM: OCZ SLI-Ready DDR2 1066 2Gb (2*1Gb sticks) link
              HDD: Seagate 250gb 7200 RPM link
              Optical drive: LG DVD Burner link
              Case: Antec 900 gamer case link
              Power Supply: Corsair 620HX link

now the total comes to $1252.06 CAD excluding taxes. this leaves you some breathing room to do a few more things. here are a couple of suggestions...

1. Regarding the CPU - if you are into overclocking, you could purchase an Intel E8200 (which is cheaper then the E8400), with a thermalright ultra 120 w/ a scythe ultra kaze 120mm fan, and overclock past 3.0GHz. (actually making it faster then the more expensive E8400)

2.Regarding DVD Burner - they are only ~$30, personally i would purchase two of them

3.Regarding RAM- if your budget allows for it, i would purchase 4gb

4.Regarding HDD size - i chose a 250gb because i dont need a massive amount of storage, you , on the other hand, might. in that case you could purchase a larger capacity drive.

5.Regarding the Case - i included a case in the cost. you can, or course, choose your own case and it may even be cheaper.

srtony1946

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 03:00:25 PM »
                Wow, this setup Is making me drool! I really love the case and wanted a duelcore processer. The video card looks awsome, I Aways get at least 4gb of ram, and I  would like a bigger hardrive. Will contact my friend and get started. Will I be able to play crysis and call of duty4 without lag? I have DSL. 

homer

Expert
                  « Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 03:46:41 AM »
                  Will I be able to play crysis and call of duty4 without lag?

yes. however chances are you will not be able to crank crysis all the way up to its highest graphical settings. my comp has similar specs as the one i gave you and i can run crysis at its highest settings with the exception of anti aliasing. the second i turn on anti aliasing it tends to get quite choppy.

mcxeb52!

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 07:36:03 PM »
                  highest graphical settings at the lowest resolution? Is there that option? I asked 'cuz I haven't played Crysis....

NOT ADMIN :P

Intermediate

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 08:40:39 PM »
                    i can run crysis on full gfx with 8x AA on the 3rd higest resolution. 1440 x 1024?
                    i have 2 8800GT's (SLI)

i love the antec 900

It is not the loudest case but definatly not the quitest.

And it draws in a LOT of dust.

most of the noise comes from the 2 front intake fans

the 20cm exhaust fan is silent!!!

i have recently put 2 new 10-12-cm front fans in and it reduced the noise dramatically

I have not heard hot the 9000 series are handling the later games.

But cod4 runs at its limit with 1 8800GT with ease.