Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: can you cause motherboard failure by inserting unknown cards into a P-4?  (Read 2156 times)

juniorajp2

To Whom It May Concern:
I've recently purchased a used Pentium-4 D845GRG computer and everything seemed to work
when first turned it on. Then has I started to check my HD it was not wiped of it previous
owners stuffs and asking for password to enter WinXP.  I have s software program that
can remove and clean-up any HD, so I wiped the HD.  The P-4 has its own board components
but I decided to add a video card, sound card, LANS card,etc.  Then I turned on computer
and nothing happened! Why? Was the cards I inserted not compatible? Did I ruin the P-4?
Please help me!
Thanks,
juniorajp2

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
A number of issues could cause it not to boot...

If you are unsure as to if the components added were good or bad, that adds to the difficulty of troubleshooting since any one card could have been blown and caused a Short on the BUS.

Likely cause of no power up would be power supply issue. I'd swap the power supply out, remove all the added cards and see if you can get it to turn back on with no issues. Then if you are unsure as to if the cards are good or bad, I'd toss them and buy known good components.

Video card upgrades also demand a heavier load than a basic computer, so be sure your power supply is at least 350 watts before adding extra video. You could run a lower end better video card on as little as a 180 watt supply, but you would overwork that supply and burn it out in no time.

I'd start with removing what was added and see it it will boot, then swap out power supplies and see if it will boot... If still no boot, make sure that the ATX power connector is pluged in correctly.

Please reply back with findings so we can help further!

Dave