Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DVD-R driver problems  (Read 5943 times)

bo130

Topic Starter

Rookie
    DVD-R driver problems
    « on: April 21, 2008, 07:40:43 AM »
    Hi I am hoping someone here can help me with this problem.

I own a homebuilt PC.  Very recently (in the last few days) I have had a problem with my DVD-R's not working.  This morning, I went to check under "My Computer" and noticed that the DVD-R's are no longer listed where they should be.

Both drives are listed under the device manager.  When I went to Windows troubleshooter, it told me to uninstall the drivers for both of the drives, and then use the hardware manager to reinstall the drivers.  I followed those instructions, and then I noticed that one of the "bubbles" below said:

"A problem occured during installation.  Your new hardware might not work properly."

Windows troubleshooter then asks for me to check to see if there are updated drivers for the drives.  There are none.  And then WT follows up to say that they have no further recommendations for fixing the problem.

This problem is rather odd, since both of these drives have worked fine on this computer for the last six months (when I built the PC).  I don't know what would suddenly be causing this problem.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: DVD-R driver problems
      « Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 07:49:53 AM »
      Try booting into Safe Mode / Device Manager & take a look-see what's listed there.  If there are multiple instances of the cdrom drives then delete them and reboot.

Also check your cabling inside the pc.

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 02:23:40 PM »
      What Windows version? If 2000, or later, your optical drive doesn't need any extra driver.

NOT ADMIN :P

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 09:32:58 PM »
        blue ray drives still do*

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 05:49:18 AM »
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

bo130

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 04:40:52 PM »
          Try booting into Safe Mode / Device Manager & take a look-see what's listed there.  If there are multiple instances of the cdrom drives then delete them and reboot.

Also check your cabling inside the pc.

Alan <><  :D
          Alan -

(sorry for the long delay in getting back to you)

I checked cabling, it is o.k. for both power and data.  I also did boot into safe mode, and in the device manager, there is only one listing for each drive.  I also tried unintalling and then reinstalling the drivers also in safe mode, and the same result.

I am not sure what to do at this point.   I am not sure if getting a PCI card that can accept a connection from a dvd-r drive would give a different result.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
            • Obituary
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 05:45:50 PM »
          This reminds me of a defective IDE cable.
          « Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 06:32:32 PM by street1 »
          Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.