Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need upgrade ideas.  (Read 10321 times)

sjn2009

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Need upgrade ideas.
    « on: April 29, 2008, 07:59:54 PM »
    Well Tommorows my birthday and I'll probably be recieveing $100-150 plus random computer crap I will take back. My question is what kind of things should I buy within my budget to speed up my computer and make it smoother. Broni suggested I get to 1 GB RAM which the owner of a gaming center had told me aswell after trying to sell me one of his custom built PC's for $500.

I am mostly a "gamer" in my eyes and generally play WoW, Grand Chase, Counter Strike Source and hope to get GTA4 on PC when it is released. At any given time I have about 4 programs running including the game which causes me to really feel the lag. Below are my computer specs that I know, but I'm willing to post more if asked.

My main concern is keeping the computer safe, i.e. no overclocking, while increasing performance and speed. However I broke my rule by taking out a 8 MM Fan that layed on the bottom of my case because it rattled around. Now all I worry about is if my computer will overheat from my games and *censored* starts going wrong.

I realize I only stated $150, but I have more money of my own and plan to get a job this summer so I'd appreciate all things I should be getting to upgrade. Perhaps even a cooling system or new power supply, if its worth it. I'll also try and get some pictures posted as soon as im not too busy using it :P

Manufacturer:     
    VIA Technologies, Inc.
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.7GHz
    Memory: 512MB RAM
    Hard Drive: Where can I find this info!
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6600
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    Sound Card: SB Live! Wave Device
    Speakers/Headphones: None, need some!
    Keyboard: Dell Default
    Mouse:    Dynex
    Mouse Surface: $5 pad from CC   
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)

Computer specs is copy pasted from my xfire profile sorry, if you want any other info just ask me and tell how to find. I don't always know everything ><

ALSO---With the Operating System I have should I have Word, Excel, PP or any other Microsoft Office programs... because currently I cant open Excel or Word and Im going to need them in the future

homer

Expert
      Re: Need upgrade ideas.
      « Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 10:48:40 PM »
      I realize I only stated $150, but I have more money of my own and plan to get a job this summer so I'd appreciate all things I should be getting to upgrade.

we need an exact budget. if the budget does not consist of what you have at this moment, give us the amount you intend to spend.

just an added note, a high-end gaming computer starts at $1000 and can work its way up.

D3m0sth3n3s

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 10:49:39 PM »
        i think i would go for ram and a new video card, i just bought 4gigs for like 80 bucks, and there are some pretty decent video cards for around 100-110$ but i would look at what the requirments are for the new gta, since its one of the newest games coming out on pc, i think it would tell you what makes a decent gaming pc
        system:
        Gigabyte p965p-ds3
        Intel core 2duo OC @ 2.4Ghz
        4 gigs DDR2 Patriot
        Evga 9600GT
        750 Watt psu

homer

Expert
          « Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 10:52:44 PM »
          i believe the only thing he should add to his comp, without getting a completely new comp, is RAM. a better video card will just get bottlenecked with his CPU.

D3m0sth3n3s

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 10:58:10 PM »
            the 6600 is pretty old, i mean even just moving up to the 7 series could help, nothing like an 8800gtx or something but just some small improvements
            system:
            Gigabyte p965p-ds3
            4 gigs DDR2 Patriot
            Evga 9600GT
            750 Watt psu

homer

Expert
              « Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 11:05:33 PM »
              the 6600 is pretty old, i mean even just moving up to the 7 series could help, nothing like an 8800gtx or something but just some small improvements

true.

sjn2009

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 12:55:26 AM »
                I realize I only stated $150, but I have more money of my own and plan to get a job this summer so I'd appreciate all things I should be getting to upgrade.

we need an exact budget. if the budget does not consist of what you have at this moment, give us the amount you intend to spend.

just an added note, a high-end gaming computer starts at $1000 and can work its way up.
                $200. I probably wont get a job till summer so I wont factor in any of that money.

i believe the only thing he should add to his comp, without getting a completely new comp, is RAM. a better video card will just get bottlenecked with his CPU.
                So thats 3 saying I should upgrade the RAM. I'm on tigerdirect right now just checking out prices and was noticed all the different types. How can I know what DDR type my computer uses etc. I only went to tigerdirect to get price ideas, if anyone knows good RAM on another site thats not terribley expensive post please.
                Also last time I opened up my computer I believe I saw either 4 or 5 slots and 1 occupied by a stick of memory already.

true.
                This sort of disappoints me, I bought my card from Best Buy 2-3 years ago when i started to play BF2 for I think around $200. I figured it would server me a little longer than this. :\

homer

Expert
                  « Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »
                  So thats 3 saying I should upgrade the RAM. I'm on tigerdirect right now just checking out prices and was noticed all the different types. How can I know what DDR type my computer uses etc. I only went to tigerdirect to get price ideas, if anyone knows good RAM on another site thats not terribley expensive post please.
                  Also last time I opened up my computer I believe I saw either 4 or 5 slots and 1 occupied by a stick of memory already.

if your comp uses DDR RAM instead of DDR2 RAM, i suggest saving up enough for a new system. DDR RAM is about the same price as DDR2 RAM and performs significantly less.

sjn2009

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 06:02:19 PM »
                    How can I know if my computer can use DDR2... A new system is really in the future. Since I have more important things to pay for in the future, I'd prefer to just upgrade instead of blow $1000 on a gaming rig and in 4 years have no time to enjoy it.

homer

Expert
                      « Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 06:20:10 PM »
                      download Everest Home.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

it will tell you your motherboard model. look up what type of RAM your motherboard will support.

sjn2009

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 06:38:01 PM »
                        Tells me 4 DDR DIMM...
                        Is that bad?

Also should I look up anything else.

homer

Expert
                          « Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 06:51:12 PM »
                          you have a DDR RAM motherboard. if you really wish to purchase more DDR RAM, which i advise you not to do, you will need to find the max speed that your motherboard will support. the speed will be in Mhz.

sjn2009

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 07:11:16 PM »
                            I see multiple listings of Mhz on my Epox EP-8K5A3+

Front Side Bus Properties-
                            Real Clock: 101 Mhz (DDR)
                            Effective Clock: 201 Mhz

Memory Bus Properties-
                            Real Clock: 168 Mhz (DDR)
                            Effective Clock: 355 Mhz

Chipset Bus Properties-
                            Real Clock: 67 Mhz (QDR)
                            Effective Clock: 268 Mhz

Also what would you advise I do?

homer

Expert
                              « Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 07:32:19 PM »
                              Real Clock: 168 Mhz (DDR)
                              Effective Clock: 355 Mhz

thats what your looking for. the max speed you can purchase for that motherboard is DDR 333 (i dont know where you got 355 from but it may be overclocked a slight bit.)

i advise you to save up enough for a whole new system (at LEAST $500 for a low-mid level gaming comp). your current system is simply not worth upgrading.

sjn2009

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 09:21:33 PM »
                                Mk... How much do you think I could sell this computer for though? If I build a new low gamer one I'd prefer to sell this computer. Any tips on how I can price it or even where to sell... lol.

D3m0sth3n3s

Rookie

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 09:50:10 PM »
                                  i think a good place to start would be seeing what all of your hardware is worth now, like i know the 6 series sells for around 80 bucks now, and since its used you might want to factor in 70$ or 75$, start from there and see how much you get. 
                                  system:
                                  Gigabyte p965p-ds3
                                  4 gigs DDR2 Patriot
                                  Evga 9600GT
                                  750 Watt psu

sjn2009

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 10:00:39 PM »
                                    I suppose... But how can I know what all is in my computer/worth of it.
                                    Also don't I have to remove Windows from my HD since i am not an authorized Windows Retailer...

D3m0sth3n3s

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 10:17:14 PM »
                                      i would use newegg.com its got tons of parts, and probably what you have.  As for microsoft, i dont think they would do anything, its yours to give/sell you bought the cd key after all
                                      system:
                                      Gigabyte p965p-ds3
                                      4 gigs DDR2 Patriot
                                      Evga 9600GT
                                      750 Watt psu

homer

Expert
                                        « Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »
                                        i dont have time to factor up an estimate right now, i just have to chime in that if you do end up selling your current rig, i would either A) give them windows and include it in the price or B) wipe the drive of windows and sell it without an OS.

personally i would go with A. most people dont know how to install an OS and would not appreciate having to do it/paying to get it done.

mcxeb52!

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2008, 07:18:33 PM »
                                        and if you have your own stuff on it ... i'd be sure to delete it before you sell the system away........

homer

Expert
                                          « Reply #20 on: May 03, 2008, 10:57:27 PM »
                                          and if you have your own stuff on it ... i'd be sure to delete it before you sell the system away........

agreed. i would do a re-format/re-install and include the price of the OS with the computer.

alan2273

Beginner
                                            • Experience: Familiar
                                            « Reply #21 on: May 04, 2008, 02:27:44 AM »
                                            The easiest way I know to find out what your memory is in your computer, is to go to the Crucial memory selector page and let it scan your computer.
                                            It will then tell you which memory is compatible with your board.
                                            Also PC Wizard 2008 is more up to date for identifying computer components.
                                            You can reinstall Windows, even if it is an OEM disk, as that just means it is tied to that computer and cannot be transfered to another one.

quaxo

Guru
                                              • Yes
                                            • Computer: Specs
                                            • Experience: Guru
                                            « Reply #22 on: May 04, 2008, 02:48:57 AM »
                                            The easiest way I know to find out what your memory is in your computer, is to go to the Crucial memory selector page and let it scan your computer.

I have seen their scanner make mistakes before. I'm not saying don't use it, but back up any advice given from their scanner with documentation from the motherboard manufacturer.

alan2273

Beginner
                                              • Experience: Familiar
                                              « Reply #23 on: May 04, 2008, 06:13:12 AM »
                                              quaxo, yes there scanner can make mistakes but it will tell him what sort of DDR is compatable and from that he will be able to estimate the price for selling it second hand.

mcxeb52!

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2008, 12:26:30 PM »
                                              or just go download CPU-Z if you want to know your computer's specs. OR download Everest if you want CPU-Z's features + computer benchmarks as well.