Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: making a hard drive image  (Read 2610 times)

mcxeb52!

making a hard drive image
« on: April 29, 2008, 10:58:42 PM »
If you were to make a hard drive image (using  tool like Acronis Disk Imager), is it possible to install that image to a different hard drive?

A clone of the original computer's stuff on another hard drive? Just wondering....

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: making a hard drive image
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 02:37:19 AM »
I haven't been able to make much sense of your question.  First you clone a hard drive then you want to install it on another hard drive.  The two don't go together.

If you mean clone drive C: to drive D: then clone drive D: to E: the answer is yes.
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

Dias de verano

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 05:09:39 AM »
Yes. Cloning a hard drive usually means taking two hard drives, one with data on, and the other one either blank or containing data that can be erased, and using a software program such as Acronis Disk Imager (or good old Norton Ghost) to make the blank one an exact copy of the first one. All in one operation. people often do this when they buy a new hard disk to replace an older one, and they want to transfer their operating system and/or data to the new drive.

Another way to get the same result is to use the same software to make an "image file" of the first disk (on another disk, removable or otherwise) and later use the software to recreate the first disk on another one. Companies often do this so they can set up a PC just how they want it, and later on copy ("deploy") the disk contents to other computers.

Either way, you get a copy (a "clone") of what was on a disk, on another disk.

mcxeb52!

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 10:21:39 AM »
so you can huh? if I ever got a new computer, and I want to transfer all the data, I can simply just make a backup disk image with the Acronis Imager or the Norton Ghost, I can then just install it right into the new hard drive?

This way, I can simply transfer all files and programs as is without needing to reinstall windows, any programs or even move any hard drives or components....

Dias de verano

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 10:28:35 AM »
The old and new computers would have to be identical, in every way, because Windows adapts itself to the hardware when it is installed. Even then non-corporate versions might need to go through reactivation because unique hardware IDs would be different. (It would think the motherboard and HDD were changed)