Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Keyboard Keys "stuck" (being registered as still being held down)  (Read 4334 times)

Kurtiskain

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Hi there,

After several tests I have decided this isn't a hardware problem...so here we go

only during specific games, (especially ESF and Dungeon Runners, in both OpenGL and D3D) my keyboard and mouse have a odd tendency to "lock" for a few seconds or more...rendering me dead or about to die :(

However...games like GTA:SA and Full Specrum Warrior work flawlessly even though they obviously put alot more stress on components.

it always happens when moving my character, for instance I will be swooping forward with Goku in ESF 1.3 and all of a sudden my mouse stops letting me move the cursor and i continue to move forward even if i let go of the buttons on the keyboard, or in dungeon runners, moving the camera with the a and d keys, if i do not tap them, but hold it down for a second(and release it) it will continue for a random amount of time.

it isn't a Lag issue because everything else around me moves fine, and my FPS count is always above 30, and it never happens when word processing, i can hold the key as long as I like but it will only repeat until i let it go.

I have tried another keyboard (it only happens when moving with the keyboard, not the mouse)

the weird thing is, while this is occurring i cant move my mouse at all, its just locked where it was, until the keyboard keeps "repeating" my keypress :(

Any ideas are appreciated!! :)

Kurtis

Edit: Oops I guess I forgot specs huh...

ASUS P4PE mobo
768MB DDR 266
Radeon 9700 Pro gfx
Intel Celeron 2.5ghz 400/128/1.5
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 07:18:47 AM by Kurtiskain »

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Keyboard Keys "stuck" (being registered as still being held down)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 09:35:31 AM »
I have found with some games when too many keys are pressed at the same time, one of them (usually the first one pressed in the combo) locks. I don't get it with all games, but I have experienced this with World of Warcraft and Battlefield II. I've never had a problem with the Halo games, Tron 2.0, Star Wars: Battlefront II, or Quake 4, all of which require just a much multi-key pressing as the others.

The only way I know of to fix this is to press that key again so it registers as pressed and released.

I don't know if this is the exact problem you're having, and I don't have any of those games you mentioned, but it sounds similar. But I think it's just limited to certain games, something to do with how they use the keyboard.

Kurtiskain

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Keyboard Keys "stuck" (being registered as still being held down)
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 06:21:32 PM »
Hey Quaxxo

I tried what you said and a even wierder phenomenon takes place!
after my character stops moving, it will then take another jolt forward, as if it had been buffering up keystrokes, and then slowly playing them out?

so ill be stuck moving for a little bit, during that time i will double tap all four directional keys in order, (w d s a) and wait....sure enough, once the "lag" has finished, Goku will then quickly shoot off in each of those directions in order :S

Oh btw for all the ESF players out there...this occurs in both 1.2.3 and 1.3 xmas beta