Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 98SE help needed (virus / reinstall / things still not working properly)  (Read 4830 times)

lohengrin

Topic Starter

Hi there,

First of all my apologies for the long post, but I really need your help. I am a novice to intermediate at best.

I use 98SE and have been for years now. I was using my PC and got a lock up, rebooted, and was asked for user information and then cd key.

I typed that in, and got an explorer error when I got to the desktop followed by the screen freezing.

I reinstalled 98SE over the old version (full installation since I don't know any other way) and managed to get to the desktop. However, I noticed that several non windows programs were no longer functioning and the add / remove programs list was completely empty. I tried installing some of the programs again and it said they were are already installed.

I tried looking for the updates (including I.E. 6 and O.E. 6) they weren't at the MS site so I used one called Softpedia autopatcher (http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Auto-patcher-for-Windows-98SE.shtml)

When I installed the auto patcher and it gave me various missing dll messages (including several in the Catroot folder) but continued installing. Now IE and OE work fine but I still have several programs that don't, they aren't listed in the add / remove list so I can't remove them to reinstall them.

I also don't know what to do about these missing dll's and other files the patcher couldn't find.

I ran my anti virus and it found a couple of viruses. I really don't want to reformat and would prefer to find another option.

My question to you guys is should I either:

1) remove the patcher, install 98se over the old one again, add the patcher again and hope for the best

2) Try and find a way to add the missing dll's and other files that are missing.

3) I have another older PC with the 98SE on it. Could I take the missing files from that computer to the other one? (I don't know where to put them though).

Even my keyboard is not working right, the @ is where the " should be (and visa versa) and the hash mark doesn't work. I also seem to have an older version of word (instead of the usual Word 97 version), despite having updated everything.

Computer Stats:

98SE
    40G Hard Drive
    512 ram
    512 Nvidia Graphics Card
    Avast anti virus

Many thanks,
    Joe
    « Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 12:56:47 PM by lohengrin »

cryhelp

Hopeful
    • Only the educated are free=Epictetus
      Did you do a complete install or run the recovery CD that comes with Windows 98SE?
      "Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education"  Mark Twain

lohengrin

Topic Starter

I did the complete installation.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced